In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

see a bullet hole at 200 yds,

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
is it possible to see a bullet hole in a paper target at 200 yards, using a rifle scope? if so what scope would i use. many thanks

Comments

• Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're best bet would be to invest in an inexpensive spotting scope .It could be used to sight in any rifle..
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is possible to see a bullet hole at 200yds through a rifle scope....probably would need to be 6X or stonger and the target should be white.....the dark hole will contrast with a lighter background and make it easier to see....use a black target, it's going to be tough. Also depends on the quality of your scope lens. I can see my bullet holes with a Swarvoski scope, not sure I could with a cheaper scope.
  • Options
    R WallerR Waller Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, very possible..at the local shooting range here, (carters country in houston) they supply some cheap @$$ wallyworld spotting scope that barely works at the hundred yard station. My zeiss 3/12/56 will spot .22 holes @ 200 yards easily..
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two rifles, one 308 the other 358, both equipped with Leupold 3.5-10X scopes, you can see bullet holes at 200 yards easily. It depends more on the color of the target and size of the holes than anything else.[This message has been edited by Ronald J. Snow (edited 01-31-2002).]
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of BSA 6-24X44 Platinum Target scopes I bought when they first came out, one on an H&R M-12 Target .22 and the other on a AR-15 Varmint gun. With a light colored target I have no problems seeing the .22 holes at 300yards ... A lot of people look down their nose at the BSA because they are inexpensive, and maybe their quality has gone down since they came out ... I dont know. BSA has been making scopes for air rifles for years. Air rifles are much harder on scopes than most centerfire rifles because of their dual recoil. The one on my AR-15 Varmint has won 1st place in 4 out of 6 200yd varmint/bench matches (with 1 tie) in the last 3 years, 2nd place once and 3rd place once (father & son were competing with same gun ... son took first).I have a Swarvoski and 2 Kahles the glass is better and they are first rate, no doubt about it ... but they are also 7-8 times the price! When I put the BSA on the AR it was for plinking, I had no intention of competing with it, but after the 1st match and I took 2nd place, I left it on.Lesson for the day~ There are inexpensive scopes ... then there is cheap, dont confuse the two.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can see them with most any of the higher end scopes available. I like at least 12x or better for any distance work.