In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Win 52B date, value

DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
I can't stand these types of questions, but I'm in need of a little help with date of manufacture on a Winchester 52B and maybe it's value.Serial # 63577 BThis particular 22LR has been sporterized. I may contact Winchester to see if they did the work or I may just pass on it all together. The guy is asking $450 for it at a local shop on consignment. 85% condition on the metal, 90%+ wood. It has a junk scope on it that is much more modern than the rifle itself. This leads me to believe it was sporterized well after the manufacturing date. Thanks for the input and advice.
JWhite2399@cs.com

Comments

• talontalon Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Manufactured sometime duing 1948.The m52 was a favorate for aftermarket modifications. I have a 'C' model where only the trigger group and receiver are original, but, thankfully, all the rest of the rifle has quality parts.
  • WIN52CWIN52C Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's right 1948 for the manufacture of the reciever although that doesn't mean it was asembled into a rifle in 48', sometimes the 52 recievers sat around for a year or even two before being assembled. As far as price, it sounds a little high to me, especially if it has "extra" holes drilled in the reciever for the newer scope. I guess it depends on whether you want to shoot it or are a collector who doesn't want to lose money on it. You will most certainly NOT make any on it at that price. IMHO WIN52C
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually it was built sometime between June 4th and June 23rd 1941.....this according to records by George Hertel's Model 52 serial number assignment Log from 1920 to 1942. George was responsible for the numbering system for better than 50 years.Win52C is correct in that year of receiver manufacture does not always match when the rifle was completed. For example, receiver number 64971B was numbered on July 14, 1941, yet the rifle it was incorporated into was not built until 1951. There was some debate concerning stock design in the late 40's, John M. Olin took an active role in the Model 52's future. Realizing that interest in the rifle had to be rekindled amoung consumers and his own employees, Olin revitalized the lock developement program that had begun in 1945. To spur this work on, he authorized the abandonment of the Model 52B on October 12, 1949, and it's replacement with the yet to be perfected Type C. Though the type C was to come on the market in 1951, production of the Type B sporting rifles was to continue well into 1953. It allowed the company to use up obsolete receivers for commercial sales.
  • DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I sent an e-mail question to Winchester and they asked me to call thier historical center to get a complete answer and gave me the number.I'm going to guess that if the rifle was sporterized at the factory, the $450 asking price is very reasonable, but if it was done by a gunsmith, it wouldn't be worth the asking price. Thanks again for the input and advice.