In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WW2 german FN browning pistol

gissimogissimo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
Ok, I have the chance to buy the fiollowing pistol for about $600. I didnt press price because I wanted to find out what it was worth first.It appears to be a captured prewar commercial model 1935. Serial numbers are 24,7XX. The last 3 digits are also stamped on the barrel and frame with the entire number on the slide. after the numbers on all 3 parts there is a infinity sign like mark with 1/2 of one of the loops missing, almost appearing line a christian fish symbol with out the vertical line on the tail. On the other side, stamped on the frame and slide is the german eagle, wings spread holding the ball with the swastika in it. The eagles wing spread is only about 1/8th of an inch. Also accompaning this mark is a group of letters/numbers. They are small and appear to be "WaA147" with an astrisk above the capital A. The metal finish is good with no observable pitting but about 60% of the bluing is missing. It is missing the original 13 round magazine and an aftermarket 13 rounder with polymer base is in the gun now. On the base of the grip there are several numbers and letters stamped in no relation to each other. There are some vertical scratches running top to bottom on the frame , right in front of the grips but not on the slide. Well thats all I can tell you about it. Any information of what all that stuff means with a good value estimate would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    p0838p0838 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This gun with WaA140 waffenamts and 40% finish is worth 350-450 dollors. You didnt mention what type of sights or condition of the grips.Other than tangent sights and mint grips, the price would be on the lower end.The WaA mark should also be on the front of the slide below the barrel[This message has been edited by p0838 (edited 01-31-2002).]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pistol in not prewar captured but was made in Belgium under Nazi occupation and used by the Germans. Since they were wartime production, quality varied from excellent at the beginning down to rough at the end of production. I had a well made one in 99.9% condition that I regrettably sold in the mid 60s for $200. My wallet was stolen the next morning with the money in it. I still burn over that one.