In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 12 value ? ?

locdoclocdoc Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to buy a model 12 in 12 ga. with a 30" full choke barrel. Solid rib on barrel. Bluing looks excellent but could be a reblue because of very little wear on mag tube and very little other wear on bluing. Forend is darker than buttstock. Slight crack in stock on left side running back from the receiver about 1 1/2". Plastic butt plate has been repaired below bottom mounting screw. Serial number indicates a 1956 gun. What else do I need to look for and what is it worth ? All help is appreciated. Thanks.Doug

Comments

• Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    I'd make sure it feeds and ejects shells ok. If you get a chance to fire it that'd be great. If the seller will let you break it down into two pieces, check the threads and make sure they aren't messed up. Do the s/n's match? It doesn't sound like you're buying it for a collection - so just make sure it works well.
  • Options
    Daddy2B8162Daddy2B8162 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc, other than the mechanics, do you like the gun? and are you okay with the price? My hunting experiences with Win mod 12's have been Great!!! If you are not buying for a collection that is the most important. But if you are buying for a collection, you may want to look a bit closer. Replacing the fore arm happens alot. It depends on what you want. For all orig, I have seen from $375 on up..For not all orig, $250 to $350 depending condition... Good luck, skopping is half the fun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rick and Daddy2B,Thank you both for your imput. The seller wants more than is resonable based on what you both have said, so maybe I can work a trade of some sort. S/N on receiver and mag tube are the same and it is tight for a gun of that vintage. It functions and locks up well. Again, many thanks.Doug
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sure sounds like you know what you are doing.If you do not buy the Winchester Model 12 in 3 inch 12 ga magnum, I have one that I'd be glad to sell you.E-mail me at andersk@attcanada.caI 'm going to be down in Boston in a couple weeks and would be glad to bring it along and send it to you. It has a longer than normal forearm (for a short arm shooter - I like it and I'm not all that short armed), but I do have the original. It also has some checkering put on the stock which does not look so great, but if you are looking for a shooter you could well be interested.
    Ken
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention the price. The others said $250 to 350 ... how does $300 sound for mine?
    Ken
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ken,I appreciate your offer but have cut a deal with the owner of the m-12 which didn't hurt either one of us. The gun and some cash for components and ammo. BTW it has a 2.75" chamber which is plenty for my needs. Will email you this message also.Doug
  • Options
    talontalon Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOCDOC, there are 2 items you can check for: one is for a possible 'duck-bill' rib extention that could be attached to your receiver (a plus); the other are two sharp angled bends(90 degrees)in the pump rod (or whatever that rod is called that goes from the pump handle to the bolt). Winchester recalled all of these "dog leg" rods some time ago because of high failer rates. Now, because so few exist, they are "collectable", but somewhat of a detriment if you are going to use it in the field.
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    andersk: where are you located? i am always interested in mdl12s. email me @ candres35@hotmail.com please.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am a US citizen presently living in NB (New Brunswick) Canada, but I'm moving to the Boston area this spring/summer.
    Ken