In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More Contender Help

beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a ton of contender stuff, and some of the barrels in 44 mag and 45 are therded on the inside of the barrel and have a little cone that screws inthe end. It looks like a little poly-choke. Is this a choke for shot shells? What size 410's can I shoot in the 45 2 1/2 or 3 inch? Thank you belt.

Comments

• Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep your right about the choke. The 45 will shoot either.
  • Options
    k albrechtk albrecht Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel marked .45-410 will shoot .45 LC or 3" 410 shotshells. Do not use the screw on choke tube when firing the .45 LC.The 44 mag barrrel was made to shoot 44 magnum rounds or a TC proprietary round called 44 Hotshot. I don't know if you can still get these rounds from TC anymore. The same warning applies, do not fire a single bullet load when the choke tube is screwed on the barrel.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the .45 Colt barrel is octagonal and you ever decide to part with it, please let me know that you have listed it and its' item number. I have the .357 octagonal and .44 octagonal, but not the .45 Colt.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    My brother and I both have 45/410 barrels his a contender mine for an encore. 2 1/2 inch shells in 6 shot is the largest we have been able to get to pattern without holes an elephant could get through. 8 or 9 shot gives the most effective patterns at around 15 yards. oh and don't bother shooting shotshells without the choke or you won't be able to hit that elephant with any size shot. [This message has been edited by dakotashooter2 (edited 01-31-2002).]
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The choke was made to stabilize the shot charge after it came through a rifled barrel.The barrel had to be rifled to conform with federal minium lenth shotgun barrels.