In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Personal transfer of firearms in pennsylvania

gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
What is the law on the personal transfer of firearms in pennsylvania. The question that was asked was about not going through an ffl. Like giving all of the guns to a relitive(brother, mother, father). Just want to knowThanks

Comments

• Options
    LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long guns do not have to be transfered at all. Hand guns give to family members, father to son /daughter, husband to wife,etc. do not. Transfer to out side immedate family members do.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not so sure about the above advice. Reading the PA firearm laws, it does say that all "firearms" must be transfered through an FFL, except Parent to child, husband to wife, etc. However, the defenition of "firearm" is a long gun with barrel less than 18 inches, or a pistol longer than sixteen. I have heard conflicting opinions about what exactly the law is. If anyone knows the exact low down, please post. I have had FFLs in PA tell me that you have to do the transfer, and you do not have to do a transfer. I do not know who to believe.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Sir -The best advise I can tell you in this matter is to go to the man with the answers. Call your local BATF and they will have the final say. Their number is always in the telephone directory under Government - Federal. When you contact them be sure to get the name and title of the person you speak to. This is the path I always take and it leaves (almost) no room for error. (CYA ! ! !)
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't ask, don't tell. How much record do you want the government to have on your person or that of your family property? You may be a prohibited person and not know it then lose your heirlooms when going through the transfer. Make sure the firearms are not stolen and create your own document of family transfer of property with a chain of custody,if possible, and have it notorized.That was the advice of my attorney who was a county DA and my two cents. I have both transferred family firearms through a FFL and privately.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    1blitzer1blitzer Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ? 6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Blitzer- But what is a "firearm"?#6102 definitions defines firearm as "Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches, or any pistol,revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches.In 6111, under section F, APPLICATION OF SELECTION IT STATES, " The provisions contained in subsections A and C(the above law you quoted) shall only apply to pistols or revolvers with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches, any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any firearm with an overal length less than 26 inches"
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I find this topic intersting 'cause as I stated earlier, I have gotten conflicting information from licensed firearm dealers. I always thought that I could sell or buy a gun(except handguns) through a private sale without any buerocratic interference. It was only when I was in a gun shop, and they had a letter from the state police stating all "firearm" sales must go through an FFL, did I think that I was wrong with my understanding of the law. When reading section 6111 in its entirety, it seems quite evident that I can in fact sell or buy firearms privately without buerocratic interference. One must read the entire 6111 to know what a "firearm" is, and a "firearm" is basically all pistols, and some short long guns. I think the state police, and the politicians are content with people thinking that ALL guns, and not only the "firearms" explained in the law, are subject to governmental checks.Bottom line, we can buy and sell guns without the government knowing about it(except handguns and short long guns), and ALL and ANY gun(pistols, handguns, short long guns) can be transfered to children, wives and grandchildren without government interference.
    Happiness is a warm gun