In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Legalized baiting in GA

jhj370jhj370 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
On Jan.23 a bill to legalize deer hunting over bait was introduced. You would have to buy a $25 tag and apply it to your feeder. It must be a motorized spin feeder. No tubes,buckets, or stumps. What do your states do and do you think this is a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Hear in MI we have some baiting, it a gray area that changes daily since the TB issue keeps bouncing around. Right now I beleve that it is set @1gal. or equivelant spread out in a 10ft. circle per day per hunter. Automatic feeders are alowed if set properly on private lands. I dont hunt over bait but I others in my group use it with mixed results depending on where they hunt. Seeing more deer sure makes it more fun. My father has a feeder behind his house, he likes to watch turkey and deer.
    I eat my road kill!!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a damn good idea in areas overpopulated with deer. You can also control where the shooting takes place.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we bait the hell out of em here in MD. (eastern shore). It's completely legal. You will however, find that they will get wise to it and start to hit the bait piles at night. Your situation may be different due to the fact that it is not common practice, but they will learn when to go there. Maybe it will take a couple of years, but you will notice them getting wiser over time. The ones who survive the shooting on the piles will teach the young from the next year, and so on and so forth.We can put out however much we want here. I use, by myself, during one season, probably 2 tons at each property. Shelled corn. A little molasses on the pile works well when it is a little warmer also. Hope that helps. And put the feeder away from the stand so you can get a shot,but they have less chance of seeing you when they approach.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We can legally bait deer in NB (New Brunswick) and I find that deer really go for apples, acorns, swiss chard, lettuce. carrots, pumpkins and melons. Apples are the big item on the menu, I just mess around with the rest of the groceries.Bonne chasse!
    Ken
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that corn attracts rats,which attract big southern diamondbacks.Watch where you step.
  • Options
    Rusty WRusty W Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have had legal baiting for a few years now (NJ) and I agree they become night feeders. Also the bucks do not as a rule come to bait, I am not saying it won't happen but they learn real quick. I feel it has an advantage in the early season before the woods get stomped, and in the late season when natural foods are getting thin. Our old laws were not within 100 yards if elevated. It is a touchy subject when this is brought up, we are a shotgun only state and rifles are taboo. So any advantage to shorten the shot to make a clean kill is better.