In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

just - shoot dremmell

binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
A foredom tool in the hands of a light handed person works best with a polishing rubber tube. BUT!!!!!!! If you must do it yourself, Practice a heck of a lot, on a similar piece of metal. Ever so Lightly can still RUIN your piece. The school of hard knocks taught me well, not to use a Dremel tool. A friend, 20 years ago did it on his kitchen table, to a match 45, and without proper light, magnification, and a damn, light touch.
REMEMBER ONE THING!!!!!!!!
You can't put the metal back on, once you take it off( without soldering and welding and a lot of trouble).
If the gun comes apart and you can clamp it into a rubber jawed or plastic jawed vice, take your time, and proceed carefully, and only take off,less than you think you actually want to, reassemble and shoot for a while-==You can still Ruin the piece.
The reason gunsmiths have a job is because generally they know what they are doing, have done it wrong and do it better now,gone to school and or learned from a 'good smith'(like I did)-apprenticed, and have insurance, in case they get sued.
Whenever you alter a firearm, remember a few things. It can be illegal, dangerous, and still come out wrong. Is it worth the $50-100.00, a good smith would charge to do it right the first time.
MY BEST ADVICE----Take it to a GUNSMITH, and save yourself the trouble and have a safe time shooting.

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The successfull use of small tools depends on the individuals skill level. If you dont have a good mechanical aptitude, you're ham handed and working with small tools isn't your thing, then it's smart not to try gun work to save money. A pretty fair amount of manual dexterity is needed to do a neat job with a hand held power tool like a Foredom or Dremel. The flex shaft attachement makes delicate jobs easier. The more expensive Foredom with foot actuated speed control is even easier to control but the Dremel is great for occasional use and is a must for tinkerers, model makers and hobbiests. As has been said you need extra light and a head mounted magnifier to really see what you're doing.
  • Options
    just-shootjust-shoot Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    I do have a very good mechanical aptitude, and some what over confident at time with the attidute that I can fix anything. But this will be left to a gun smith, because I know myself, If I was lucky enough to get it right, I would line all my guns up for ramp polishing, whether they need or not. I appreciate the advise.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used a Dremel tool my guns when needed. As has been said - do it lightly - and just polish. Never remove metal unless you are absolutely sure you know what you're doing.

PC=BS

Edited by - badboybob on 04/28/2002 11:32:29