In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

legal or not

yankee bobyankee bob Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Where can I go online to read about what is legal to own in the state of texas

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Have heard that it is illegal to replace the thumb hole stock on a MAC 90 with the pistol grip type stock. Would like a legal opinion if possible, thanks.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No lawyer, here--but as a dealer/gunsmith it is my understanding that you are correct. If it was made with a thumhole stock you can not replace it with the pistol grip style. Why not inquire directly of the people charged with enforcing these laws--the BATF?
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    If you replaced enough parts with American made parts it would be legal to do. They are making US made hammers, triggers, and sears for this purpose as well as buttstocks and pistol grips. You can also use magazines with US made floorplates and followers to get the count up. As I recall, you would need to replace 7 parts on a MAK90 using US made parts to make it legal.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    If you replaced enough parts with American made parts it would be legal to do. They are making US made hammers, triggers, and sears for this purpose as well as buttstocks and pistol grips. You can also use magazines with US made floorplates and followers to get the count up. As I recall, you would need to replace 7 parts on a MAK90 using US made parts to make it legal.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there was a kit advertised in shotgun news last year (I don't get it any longer) which offered a legal pistol grip stock set. It had enough of the parts to make it legal. As I recall, the add stated it came with a letter from the ATF that attested to the legality of the change. It was like $180, which I felt too high for a $400 gun. Hope that was of any help.

When in doubt...empty the magazine!!