In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 clones

FTSLT488FTSLT488 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Any opinions on the Norinco 1911A1's and the Auto ordnance 1911A1's. Also, how much are they worth? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a newly-made Auto Ordnance by Kahr which is said to be of better quality than were the ones produced by Gun Parts Corp. The Norinco is usually thought to be the equivalent of a U.S. G.I. W.W.II pistol. Both are being used as a basis for building custom .45s. As to the value--are you referring to new or used; and if used, what condition? If new, dealer price or retail? Lacking that information I'll just have to say right around $400.
  • Options
    FTSLT488FTSLT488 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks DG, I was referring to used ones but in NRA excellent condition-retail prices.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look around you should be able to get either in NRA Excellent for about $350. The Auto Ord would, most likely, be one of the older Gun Parts Corp. models; as the Kahr production hasn't been available long enough to generate too many used ones. Personally, although I've read contrary information on this forum, I never experienced problems with the older (G.P.) models. I sold several through my shop and had no complaints. As for the Norinco, I heard mixed reports--but the good out numbered the bad. I think I'd save my pennies and buy one of the new Kahr pistols.
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an older Auto Ordinance. It apparently had a bit of work done on it, but it still wasn't too reliable--or perhaps the work wasn't trustworthy.

1911s have enough inherent potential for problems without adding to them. Either spend some extra bucks and get somethng good out of the box, or get someone who can do a competent job in making your 1911 something you can depend upon.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too had one of the older Auto-Ord 1911 clones, was the pit bull model, picked it up at a gun show swap. Didn't operate reliably even with various 230gr FMJ factory ammo, and different magazines. Tuned the extrator, helped a little, but decided not to spend the money needed to get it up and running right so I traded it at the next gun show. I guess if you wanted something to work on, it would be ok, but it was real low quality, tool marks visible all over it. Even the sides of the slide weren't polished up all that nice.

I've seen the newer one's made by Kahr Arms, and they look a heck of alot nicer than the one I had. Haven't had a chance to shoot one yet though.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    JBBooksJBBooks Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norinco .45s are very good basic 1911s.
    Reliable and fairly accurate with the
    small sites that come on them. Just don't
    get one that some junior gunsmith has
    screwed up.
    JBB

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
  • Options
    llibllib Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Norinco was not imported after 1995 thanks to Clinton. I have two (one still NIB in the factory plastic wrap) and have found them well made. The factory sites are the three white dot stile, not the small military type. Supposedly the metal is very good quality. I have seen two of the new Kahr .45 pistols at gun shows and the finish was poor on both.

wcreel@ccms.net