In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Small caliber saboted slugs for shotguns

cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Where can a guy (me) find a comprehensive or at least pretty good list of saboted bullets available, listed by diameter of sabot as well as projectile diameter?
In particular, I'm looking for 2 sabots:
.63 cal and .45 cal
with internal diameters for slugs of
(for .63): .308-.45 or so; and
(for .45 sabot): .223-.308 or so.

I have seen posts of folks looking into useing regular ol' bullets in place of slugs, but bullets are generally too heavy. (i.e a .410ga slug at 88-110gr is much lighter than a 200gr .45 bullet, for ex.)

So I'm figuring that a sabot would allow a lighter bullet. With the 20ga slugs weighing 275-330gr, there are a large variety of bullets that weigh that much. But I need one that matches the "fit" of a sabot to load it.
The 410ga may be easier. I know .45 diameter sabots are around, and an 88-110gr projo would then only have to be the correct diameter for the inside fit of the sabot.

See where I'm coming from? or have I confused everyone?
Anyone done this before?

Anything like this available?
Thanks,
C-

Comments

• Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BE CAREFUL !!I HAVE EXPERIMENTED WITH THE 410 ALOT AND WAS UNDER THE SAME IMPRESSION YOU ARE ,THAT THE 410 WILL FIRE A 45 BULLET, WRONG!!!
    YOUR BEST TOO TAKE A 410 SLUG SHELL APART AND MIKE THE SLUG FOR ITS DIAMETER.PLUS IF YOUR SHOT GUN IS A FULL CHOKE IT PROBRABLY IS ABOUT .375 DIAMETER. I HAVE LOADED 375 LEAD BULLETS INSIDE A 410 WAD AND FIRED THEM FOR FUN ,KIND OF A HOME MADE 410 SLUG ONLY HEAVIER . IF YOU USE THE LOADING DATA FOR 11/16 OZ LOADS AND KEEP YOUR BULLET WEIGHT AND DIAMETER IN CHECK IT IS PRETTY SAFE TOO SHOOT.HOPE THIS HELPS
    KEEP ON BANGIN BOYS ,DON
  • Options
    cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I'm saying: I want, say, a .308 cal rifle bullet of approx 88-110gr, in a sabot to fire out of a 410ga (cylinder bore). I slugged it, its .452 cal.
    So it HAS been done?
    Any other info?