In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Poor Precision with Remington Mdl 7400

Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
First of all, thanks to all who responded to my previous post.

Rrfhunter, I will pick up some Winchester ammo and give it another try.

Leeblackman, Maybe I should not rule out the 308. There are a couple of the guy going on the hunt that are using that cal. I just thought that if the 30-06 is capable of the same precision then why not go large.

Ronald J. Snow, Your comments are appreciated and I will try tightening the barrel retaining nut as well as both Remington and Federal Premium ammo before I completely give up.

Do any of you see much difference between the ADL tapered barrel and the bull barrel model for hunting out to 300 yards? I know there will be a weight factor but if it will save me a couple of inches at 300 yards it may be worth it.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have been having a hard time with my Model 7400 30-06 auto. I made sure that the bore was clean, tightened the forearm, slowed down the fire rate of the rounds, and I am at the end of my rope. I bought the rifle new and have fired about 400 rounds through it. I put a Leupold 3x9 VARX III with good base and rings on it. I am going to Wyoming to hunt deer out to about 300 yards and I can't get a consistent 4-inch group at 100 yards. Any other suggestions before I swap it for a Model 700.

Jim
  • Options
    BOWWMANBOWWMAN Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim,
    First I need to know if you are using factory ammo or handloads.
    And what bullet wieghts have you tried. This model can be picky but you should be able to find what it likes. E-mail me Tribe91@bellsouth.net
    Eric

BOWWMANhold hard and shoot strait!
  • Options
    binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some guns just like certain ammo. Had a Browning some years ago that only liked the Browning ammo because of the neck size.
    I suggest Remington brand, 150 165, or 180 , and I also suggest you check your scope mounts. Use steel mounts especially drilled and tapped ones. The Receiver may have a little movement and in turn knock loose the rings and mounts. Also tightening the forearm might help.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Just go ahead and make the switch to a 700!! You'll never get the accuracy out off a semi, or pump you'll get with a quality bolt!! You can probably sell the 7400 for about enough to get you an ADL Synthetic that will shoot circles around it! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BOWWMAN, I have only used factory loads. Mostly 150 grain FMJ Boat Tail American Eagle but I have put some 180 grain PSP PMC through her. I am shooting bench rest, four round, 3 inch groups with the one fly point that takes me to 4 inches at 100 yards. I want one-inch groups but could live with two inches at 100 yards with the thought that I could get 6 inches out at 300 yards. A friend told me that the long bullets sometime don't settle down until they are out a little further. Your thoughts on any possible solutions to this problem are greatly appreciated.

groundhog devastation, I could always turn the 7400 into a pig gun.
    Remember never, I say never, sell a gun...

Jim
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEXT TRIP GET SOME GOOD QUALITY AMMO. TRY THE HORNADY AMMO. SHOULD HELP A BUNCH.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    If you are going to use factory ammo try some Federal Premium. I think your goal of 1" is a pipedream! 2" might be acheivable but save yourself the time and money spent on ammo and get yourself a bolt!! You've already got a quality scope now go get an accurate rifle to put it on!!! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GHD, You make a good point...Oh s##t...I can feel a new gun comming along...now for the excuse for the wonderful little woman...Thanks!

Jim
  • Options
    rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't give up on that 7400 so fast!

I bought a 742 with a so-so bore and a pos 4x tasco scope on it. I loaded up some 165 grain rem psp bullets and it shot 1 1/2" !! I never expected anything like that out of it. My only complaint was a long trigger pull. This is an elk killing machine!! Try some winchester ammo through it cuz the lousy performance you describe is typical of my experiences with Remington factory ammo.

....I never met a gun I didn't like!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like your barking up the wrong tree. 4MOA sounds about right for a Remington 7400. Its not a long range precision gun, its a deer rifle... 2" would be a dream for a 7400. If rrfhunter really has a 1 1/2" shooting 742, he got lucky. You didn't get lucky and get a shooter like that. Now with the right handload you will more than likely be able to achieve better accuracy, but I don't think you'll get anywhere near an inch. Now I may be wrong, but in my opinion, your best bet would be to buy a gun more for the purpose intended.

Now if your stuck on a semi auto, there are plenty out there capable of handling such groups. DSA custom FAL's, M14's, and even AR10's. Just get one setup for it. Your not going to find one in a 30-06, but its little brother the .308win is widely available.

But I would probably look into a bolt gun. I know a dude who handloads for his Remington PSS .308, and shooting shots from the bench, leaves group holes in the paper smaller than the diameter of the bullet at 100yds. Though he's spent countless hours and dollars to do so, the point is I don't think he could have done it with a semi auto.

Anyway, good luck, hope we helped.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work on many of these Remington 7400 rifles and they will shoot down into the 2" group without too much trouble. However, you say you fired about 400 rounds. Remove the forearm and make sure the barrel retaining nut is tight. I find this to be a main problem with these rifles that will not group well. The forearm should be tight but not excessively so. The vast, vast majority of 7400 shooters around here use REMINGTON ammo and the groups are fine. The Federal Premium would be my second choice. The FMJ ammo you mention would my very last choice for any use other than just shooting to hear noise. Also remember this, there are some rifles that just simply do not shoot well. These are my observations from working with the 7400 rifles since they were introduced. I do not own or hunt with them as I by far prefer a bolt action; however, the 7400/742/740 models are very popular with Maine hunters so I get to work on and shoot many each year.