In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SIG P-220 problem

roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
The slide release has always been quite difficult to move but after I put in an after market recoil spring system it is almost impossible to move. Usually have to retract slide very slightly and then release. VERY MUCH A PAIN! Anyone have an idea as to how to get this to function as it should? I've thought about stoning the notch in the slide but I don't know if this is the best thing to do.This gun has Hogue grips. I bought it used so I don't know if that might contribute to the problem since I don't have factory grips to compare. Doesn't seem to be much clearance between thumb piece and grip.Even with this problem, it is the BEST 45 ACP I have ever owned and doubt I will ever own any other.

Comments

• Options
    110110 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice would be to send it to Sigarms. They have some of the best gunsmiths in the world and would be more than happy to fix the problem.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was taught that it is not a slide release, but a slide stop lever. You should not chamber a round by pushing the slide stop, but instead, pull back slightly on the slide and release it to snap forward, chambering a round. With my Sig 220, I lock the slide back, insert a loaded magazine, then pull back on the slide and let it go forward. I don't use the slide stop on any of my semi auto pistols to chamber a round.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with this pistol that would require that it be sent back to SIG. The extra-strength recoil spring is putting additional forward pressure on the slide and the stop is forced that much harder into the slide notch. Smoothing up the notch and stop contact areas would certainly help. Why the heavier spring in the first place? Do you shoot extra-heavy loads?

If putting back the original spring eliminates the problem and does not affect the function of the pistol, that is what I would do. After that, stone the notch if you do not want to retract the slide a bit to release the stop.

To me, the slide stop is there to allow rapid reloads on an empty gun. I use it for that purpose, but recognize the other school of thought.
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are supposed to pull the slide back on the Sig. Darn near wore my office softened digits down trying to use the slide release. It's harder if the mag is empty. I'd stay with factory springs or equivalent, unless there is a good reason. The Sig is not one of those guns that needs much work--they are good as they come out of the box.

I have Hogue grips (as far as I go for a custom Sig) that should not be an issue. I love my Sig a bunch, but I love my Colt 1911 more. I wouldn't mess with your Sig unless you really know what you are doing.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with chris8161. In the certification training required to teach the Texas CHL course, Texas DPS said they will not allow their officers to ever touch the "slide stop". The theory is this...if the the slide stop is used to release the slide, for whatever reason, the action could possibly fall just short of completely closing, rendering the gun inoperable and the shooter might not even know it until he pulls the trigger with no result. If the slide is retracted by hand and released, you get another 1/8"-1/4" of thrust by the maximum compression of the recoil spring, and this just might be enough added power to force the slide into battery, ready to fire. I agree that it might never happen; but, if it did, the routine habit could save one's life.

To me, it is similar to the person who insists on cupping his weak hand over the ejection port as he releases the slide. If a gritty firing pin ever sticks in the firing position, the person may lose a few fingers. The risk is low; but the gain is high...if they are my fingers...high enough to develop a better habit.
  • Options
    gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    The first gun I ever bought was a used P220 with Hogue grips. I was also instructed to use the slide stop to release slide when I bought it. The Hogue grip is not a problem. I soon found it better to pull back slide as far as possible and just release to let it slam and chamber. I do that with all of my semi's without a problem. Slide stop and slide takes a lot less beating that way. If you do rapid reloads and choose to use stop as a release as Judge said, then you should change spring back to factory to reduce pressure and see how it is before you do anything else. GD
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of my semi-auto with slide stop/slide releases will often be hard to manipulate forward when an empty magazine is present, but not otherwise. I find this normal.

Don't know if this little tid bit will help.

And common guys, the guy wanted to know why his button was so hard to push, he didn't want a lecture on whether or not to use it. You need to start a new topic if you want to talk about that.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JudgeColt: The reason for the spring change is that somewhere, perhaps in these hallowed pages of "Ask The Experts", I read that the early 220s had too light of a recoil spring and some frame battering could occur after many rounds. This is an earlier model so I thought I would treat it "nice". Anyway, the problem is only marginally better with the factory spring. I will figure something out because I use the slide stop lever as a release and will continue to do so.
    To the fellow that suggested sending it to SIG, not a chance. $35.00 each way plus their repair charges and the fact it has a non factory part makes it not an option.
    To the rest of you thank you for your input.
  • Options
    gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    Roysha, you are correct about the earlier P220's having a weak spring. I am not sure from what serial #, but if you bought spring from Wolf, they knew from which serial #'s were weak. If slide stop lever is not touching Hogue grip when pressed, check if it's bent or binding somewhere on inside. GD
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I don't understand how pushing the slide release, to chamber a round, would cause anymore wear than firing the weapon. I think its unnecessary to pull the slide to disengage the release and would not recommend this in a firefight. My two cents. Personally, its been my experience, on more than one occasion, that the distinct sound of a slide, slamming into battery, has a unique way of gaining peoples attention and has a way of ending a confrontation before it happens. Id say, if you cannot release the slide with either factory, or aftermarket springs with relative ease, you should send it back to sig and let them look it over. You'll probably pay for shipping to them, but they will probably fix it and ship it back for free.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....