In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Practice bullets Vs. Bullets for defense.

SixStringerSixStringer Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
O.K., Ive heard several opinions on this, maybe you guys can sort it out for me. I want to get a cheaper round to use at the range (like a winchester 9mm fmj.) However, when Im using my gun for defense I wouldnt mind having a more expensive hollow point in my magazine. Some folx seem to think I should use for defense what I use at the range.. but that just doesnt seem economical. How much of a difference will the different bullet really make to my accuracy?

Comments

• Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Six, I don't see any problem with your plan to use inexpensive ammo for practice and expensive, premium for a defensive load. People have been doing that for years and years. In a perfect world, you would use the same brand and lot # for everything but also in a perfect world, money would grow on trees so you could afford it.

A couple of points to consider; Try to get practice ammo that is close in performance to the defensive load, i.e. similar MV and bullet weight Regulate (or adjust) your sights for the defensive load. every now and then (6 months?), shoot the defensive load to check sights and your reactions (also doesn't hurt to shoot out your 'active magazine' to eliminate contamination possible in long term storage

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many people have many different views on what to carry. I personally believe that you should practice with what you carry, so you know where to shoot when you have to use it. Of coarse this isn't the most economical way, but now for my next view. I believe that you should shoot the most reliable ammunition there is for you gun, this being FMJ's for most guns. Accuracy comes second to reliability in my book, and performance comes last. People spend to much time worrying about one stop shots, but they don't relize that defensive shooting is alot different than hunting deer. You don't have to worry about you game getting away, its actually what you want. Deterence is what you hope for, as soon as shots go off they run, but threat elimination is what you prepare for.

Also, premium hollow point defensive ammunition isn't that expensive when you buy in bulk. Winchester has a great line of JHP ammo.

I personally use and like Winchester 230gr FMJ ammo in my .45acp. Its the most reliable stuff, and more accurate in my gun than some other FMJ's.

Also when it comes to cost on ammo, you need to ask yourself.

HOW MUCH IS MY LIFE WORTH? A box of the cheapest crap at teh gunshop... Or hours of practice with the stuff you carry.

I tend to seperate Defensive and Sport Play shooting. I have one gun that I carry for defensive purposes. I shoot one ammo thru it. I constantly practice and keep profeciency with it.

And then I have this ever growing collection of play guns, that I buy whatever ammo, and shoot seasonally.

Just my 2cents.

ALso you might want to look into buying some of Jeff Coopers books, he was a great philosopher when it comes to defense. You may also do some research into Thunder Ranch, Front Sight, or Gun Sight training institutes.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got a few boxes of the Winchester 115 GR fmj for practice, Im going to shoot some federal hollow points through and see how different they feel.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My rule of thumb before a firearm qualifies as a carry/home defense gun in my house is to shoot 250 rounds of the ammo I intend to keep it loaded with. At least 50 of those rounds are in low light to the check muzzle flash of the round.

IF it passes that test, I practice with quality ammo that is similar to the carry ammo and I also fire a magazine or two of the carry/home defense ammo every time I go to the range.

It costs some $$$ upfront to do this, but I know my firearm and ammo are compatable and I have confidence in the choices I have made.

JMHO...Good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm a college student. I cant afford to spend $20 for 50 bullets. I'd never go to the range.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference between shooting 9mm factory hollow point and FMJ ammo of the same bullet weight, should be little if any because they are within SAAMI specs for pressure. Point of impact at shootout ranges should be negligible. Too little pressure and the gun would malfunction and too great you would be beating up the pistol.
    I would practice with cheapo standard loads after first shooting a couple of boxes of the defense ammo you intend to use. The reason for this is that some pistols will not feed HP ammo all that reliably. Some HP bullets hang up on magazine edges, ramp roughness, corners and chamber mouth edges. If this is the case you'll want to correct it ASAP.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personal defense shooting is likely to happen within 20'. At that distance you don't aim, you point and shoot. The accuracy of your practice ammo, versus personal defense ammo doesn't matter one bit. Shoot target at the range with whatever is cheapest for you, but be sure to follow the session with some close range point and shoot with the same ammo. Save the expensive stuff for the real thing.

PC=BS
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey six.... Go ahead and use the Winchester FMJ, Federal FMJ, USA FMJ or any of the other low price factory ammo for practice. I was a Peace Officer for 28 years and just about all of our range practice was done with low velocity ammo reloaded by range personnel. Most people don't realize the fact that most gun fights officers are involved in are at a range of less than 7 yards. Buy a box of good hollow points like Hydroshock or SXT's ammo and carry in your gun when not practicing. You will save a lot of money and will be able to shoot a lot more at the practice range.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Six-I also subscribe to the theory that one should practice with what they will actually use when the chips are down. The answer to both your fiscal limitations and what-to-use dilemma is to enter the field of reloading.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The point I was trying to make was that you have to make sure your firearm is compatable with the ammo you choose to keep it loaded with.
    I have encountered several firearms that would feed flawlessly on FMJ and jam on every other JHP round fed through it. Others that would feed on brand of JHP and not another. You are the one that has to be confident that your firearm will function if it is ever needed.

Good luck...