In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Siamese mauser action for 45-70

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have read that these actions were used for conversion to 45-70. Which ones? Why are these used instead of Rem,Win or Savage.

Comments

• Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Only one Siamese action that I know of, although most were chambered from 8x50R to 8x52R. The bolt face for the rimmed Siam. needs to be opened up only a little for the .45-70 and the magazine is sloped so the rims don't hang up on the rims underneath. Also the action is strong enough for hot loads like a 405 grain bullet at 2150 fps.
    I.Shute
    haywire27@webtv.net
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    THE SIAMESE M-98 MAUSER COPIES ARE THE ONLY MODERN MILITARY ACTIONS THAT WHERE MADE FOR A RIMMED CARTRIDGE AND ARE EASY TO SPORTERISE. WE USED TO BUY THESE FROM SARCO FOR 3/$75. I HAD A DEER LOAD FOR ONE OF MINE THAT GOT 2600 FPS WITH THE HORNADY 300 GN H.P. I HAVE MADE A LOT OF THESE INTO .45/70, 450 ALASKAN, AND .50/110.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Mike-
    Have you ever used the P-14 Enfield (.303 British)? It's also rimmed, longer and stronger than the Siamese - makes a dandy .45-70, etc.
    I'd like to get your email address.
    Thanks,- I.Shute
    haywire27@webtv.net
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45-70 rifles are also made on Lee Enfield actions and are currently available from Gibbs Rifle/Navy Arms Co.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I.SCHUTE; THE .45/70 ECT. ARE JUST THE RIGHT LENGHT FOR THE SIAMESE, I USUALY RESERVE THE P-14/17 FOR THE LARGER MAGNUMS AS THEY ARE MUCH LONGER. I JUST FINISHED A P-14 IN .416 REM. (MY SHOULDER STILL HURNS FROM TEST FIRING). TO ME, A P-14 IN .45/70 IS LIKE HAVEING A CORVET AND ONLY USING SECOND GEAR. THE SMLE ENFIELDS ARE OK BUT YOU CANN'T LOAD THEM AS HOT AS THE SIAMESE. E-MAIL ADDRESS IS MERRILLSMW@AOL
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd be concerned that the actions of the Gibbs rifles are stout enough for rounds we like to shoot in the Siamese and P-14's. Some loads approach those of the .458 Win. Mag. Not sure what loads Navy Arms recommends for theirs. I don't like to shoot the really heavy loads in the new Marlin 1895,- hurts too bad, but never heard of the rifle failing. They're sure building some brutes on them now, must be strong enough.
    I.Shute