In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to pronounce "Llama."

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Llama is pronounced like "yama" not "lama."
The spanish translation of llama means "name".

Comments? Am I right or wrong?

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee

Comments

• Options
    rjpeacockrjpeacock Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure you are correct. I have heard and read this several times over the years. Russ
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're correct it's Yama.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, had to settle an arguement.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Spanish double-ls are pronounced as y, unless you're in Amarillo.

There seem to be two choices: collect a lot of stars.........or have a life!
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only because those in Amarillo pronounce it incorrectly. That's Spanish for "yellow."

Another correct way to pronounce "Llama" starts with the letter "F" and rhymes with "species."

We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson.Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    RockinURockinU Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    If you want to be correct nombre is name. Your thinking of the verb llamar (to call) you say Me llamo (I am called). Llama would be either he/she is called, or the command for some one to call. You are correct that it is pronounce like a Y.
  • Options
    l-girll-girl Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are referring to the firearms manufacturer, "llama," I pronounce it "crap," because that's what most of their guns are. In Spanish, it would be "mierda" (me - air - da).

Best regards,Rich
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's all this authentic ethnic pronunciation about? Are you all pronouncing Paris, Paree, like they say it in France? To be consistent we will have to say a lot of things in a different way. A lot of our towns, places and other things are pronounced in a way that murders the original language that they came from, French, German even English. Interesting mental exercise.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rmhc, do you not say "Paree" when speaking of Paris? You probably do not say Joyzey either!
  • Options
    vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RockinU-

I thought a llama was a big, goofy looking pack animal from South America.

There seem to be two choices: collect a lot of stars.........or have a life!