In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

VARIABLE POWER EYEPIECE FOR SCOPE

gars320gars320 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Bausch & Lomb 60x Spotting Scope. Not sure of the model, just says Bausch & Lomb Optical Co. Rochester NY, USA DT3584 on focusing knob. It has a fixed 60x eyepiece that is great for very long range but I would like to use it for a little closer work sometimes.
Do any of the experts here know if it is possible to get a variable power eyepiece for this scope and if so where? Or failing that does anyone have a source for getting fixed power eyepieces in smaller power, such as 10x-40x?
Thanks guys

GML

Comments

• HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GML, What you have is a B & L Sr. 60. Ocular lenses of 15X, 20X, 30X and 60X were available. I have a scope with the 20X, 30X and 60X lenses. I find little use for the 60X. These lenses show up sometimes at gunshows and I have seen them on the internet auctions.
    There are some Bushnell lenses that will fit and work in the scope but I am not sure if the image is as clear as with the B & L. You have a fine scope. I hope you can find a more useful lens. I don't believe there was a variable power lens that would work. B & L made a later version that was a variable power but the power adjustment was by a knob similar to the focusing knob on your scope.
  • gars320gars320 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herschel:
    Thanks for the data Now at least I know what the model is and that there are other lenses available for it.
    You're right it is a great scope, only problem is the magnification, you can't even look out through a screened window with 60x lens as all you can see are the wires of the screen, but it sure is good off the back porch for extra long views. Now I guess I understand why all these spotting scopes I have seen at the range before usually had a 20x orat the very most a 40xlens on them.
    Thanks again for the help, I'll try the internet and it will give me an excuse, (like I really needed one ) to hit some more gun shows!

GML