In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many screws to secure action to stock?

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
How many do you really need? I have a sporterized 10/22 it only has one screw to the barrel, I've seen hunting rifles with one, two, and three. I think uneven pressure or torque can have an effect on accuracy, especially in the barrel area.

The reason I ask, is that the Custom Double Trigger Mauser Sporter I just got has four (4) screws to secure the metal to the wood, wait, actually five. There are two screws that go through the trigger guard up to the back & front of the reciever. There is also a small screw to attach the rear of the trigger quard to the stock. The other two go through pillars at the midpoint of the gun and up to the forearm. Those two in the front are directly on the barrel. Is this normal? Was it done for a reason? Should I just use the trigger guard screws and omit one or both of the barrel screws?

Roy

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    HI ROY; MAUSER TYPE ACTIONS USUALY HAVE TWO SCREWS FOR NON BIG BORE CALS., HEAVEY RECOIL MAYBE THREE. REM. AND WIN. USE THREE BUT MOST BENCH REST SHOOTERS PILLAR BED THE ACTIONS AND DON'T USE THE MIDDLE ONE. THE OTHER SCREWS YOU HAVE ARE PROBABLY USED TO HOLD THE TRIGGER GUARD ON (LONG TANG IN BACK OF THE TRIGGER?). YES UNEVEN TORQUE CAN HAVE AN EFFECT ON ACCURACY (PRECISION) BOTH POSSITIVE AND NEGATIVE. THE SCREWS THROUGH THE FORE-END MAY DAMPEN THE VIBRATIONS AND MAKE THE RIFLE SHOOT BETTER OR THEY MAY SCREW THINGS UP. I'D TRY SHOOTING IT BOTH WAYS.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 2 screws in the forend are barrel tensioning screws, This used to be THE way to tune a rifle (back in the pre-free float days) they are used to adjust the upward pressure on the barrel, to control vibration. Getting the correct tension is a (lost) art, but it does work.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.