In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Superposed

bill3750bill3750 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hello I need some information on browning superposed o/u, for the year 1951 or any other information you all might have thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I know someone out there has had this situation.
    Customer brought in a Superposed for cleaning,
    opened it up and found that it had "Salt Wood".

I know Browning still has a program for replacing
    the wood. Can someone please tell me the procedure?

jwharbin2002@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, I've been reading these forums long enough I thought it was time to sign up and ask a question. I just got my hands on a 1965 lighting 12 ga. A "release-pull" trigger was added to this gun years ago for skeet shooting.Can anyone tell me what it takes to put a hunting trigger back in this? What parts or who would do it. Also is the release-pull trigger of any value now?Thanks for now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for a rough idea on the value of a Browning Superposed 12 ga. Son is going to start hunting & I need to get him a rifle and this just sits on the gun cabinet. Serial # indicates in was manufactured in 1955. It is chambered for 3" magnum (F/M) with a solid rib. Overall gun is in really good shape. No scratches on stock. Minor wear on bluing. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I resently purchased a Browning Superposed and want to go over it and clean it up. I am looking for instructions on how to disassemble/remove the forearms assembly for the barrels. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a rough idea of the value of a Browning Superpossed, made in 1934,has only about 65%-70% of the blue on it.

Thanks bill3750@airmail.net or 817-523-4493

W.C.Thompson
  • Options
    mhansonmhanson Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a blue book in front of me but I would guess it at about
    800.00 to a 1000.00 alot of things could raise or lower that price
    the wood, metal, dents, scratches, ect
  • Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search on the auction site and you might be surprised or scared of the prices. Blue book shows one thing, demand shows another. I just sold a 1961 Superposed with about %85 blue but about %60 wood, for $1200. IF mine was a %85 or better gun all the way around, and it fit me better, there would be no question that it would still be in my safe. I ended up trading the gun even on a New Beretta 686 Onyx with chokes and some accessories at a local gun shop. They now have the Browning up for sale at $1350.
  • Options
    binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the browning to a good gun shop and tell them you want an appraisal for insurance purposes. Sometimes it will be higher than the actual value, but most times not. If you say you want them to sell it, Watch out, as there are alot of folks that will tell you it is old and of little value and then jack the price up when they go to sell it, and give you only what you asked for. They should also be able to tell you approximate NRA condition.
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i recently purchased one in about 85% both metal and wood for 700.00 i dont know the year but it was made in belgium and is very tight with excellent bore. only thing i dont like is the non selective trigger. carl
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pre-war Superpose's, depending on variation could be a real goldmine. In 1934 only 2000 were built...this was the time of the depression and prices were $107.50, a vent rib was an extra $20. Fancy select curley walnut wood ranged from $35-$75 more, and a custom fit was an additional $15.65.

The Standard grade or base model had only borderline engraving until 1936 when rosettes were added on the frame edges, trigger guards, forearm hanger, and on pins & screws. Wood was oil finished with 26 lined checkering per inch. In 1936 they went up a grade to the Lightning....sales were pretty slow during the depression and Browing dropped the price to $79.80.

There was also a model called the "Hand Made"....If you had the money during the Worlds worst depression, you could have anything you wanted on special order. Special order pre-war Superpose's are very rare and demand high prices. There was no grade or particular name for these other than what Browning called their "Hand-Made" guns. FN always produced Exhibition grade examples of their work for world fairs and other extravaganzas.

The name given to this gun derives from the French word "superpose". It means in the past tense "to superpose" or place one over another. The basic language of the Belgian people is French...John Moses spoke French fluently. Speculation is that he wanted to give his new invention a fancy name...whatever the reason, Superposed has become synonymous with over-and-under shotguns. When introduced, the only gauge available was the 12. Val Browning redesigned the gun to handle 20 gauge loads when he designed his trigger system. The gun was never made in 16 gauge, which is the second most popular gun in Europe.

As to value, low end...perhaps $700 for a worn plain jane model and up depending on condition. Hope this helps.....Rembrandt

("Browning..Sporting Arms of Distinction" by Matt Eastman)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all of you,you all help me.

W.C.Thompson
  • Options
    binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look at the serial number on the tang near the safety, on mine it has an S8 in the number meaning manufactured in 1968. Browning .com can probably tell you more.
    Get a goodHoppee's Tornadoe brush with thespirals and a good solvent and clean the barrels out real well before you get it appraised.