In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Custom Mauser with Double Set Triggers

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
Regular Mauser Sporter, or, Diamond in the rough?

The story starts out with a friend of mine telling me that his brother had a '357 Roberts' rifle with two triggers. I told him it probably was a '257' Roberts. He said he thought it was a Winchester Model 70. Will the light went on in my head, I got his phone number and gave him a call. I asked him about the front sight and he said there were no screws in it and it looks like part of the barrel, and, the barrel has a hump in it about 2/3 the what back.

I got his address and went to go see the gun. Well, it's a Mauser action with an early Pre-64 (I think) Winchester Model 70 step taper barrel, Buehler Safety, Double Set Triggers, and Monte Carlo stock with a Schnabel Forend. The gun was crying out for me to save it (it's in shooter condition),so, with some horse trading, it's now mine (and in pieces).

Help me ID please. Under the scope mount it has Fabrica De Armas, I'll remove the scope mount later and see if there is anything else under it. The bolt release has a diamond with a 'T' or cross in it. The safety says Buehler on it. The barrel is a humped 257 Roberts Model 70 with the soldered on front sight. The stock appears to be walnut and the trigger guard is pointed in front and has double set triggers. I should have taken 'before' pictures, and might just put it back together just for pics.

I took it to a couple of gunsmiths and a gunshop owner and they said it was put togher right and looks like a nice shooter. The gunshop owner wanted to buy it on the spot. I cleaned the barrel and you can still see the square part of where the lands start in the throat; the rifling is sharp all the way out the top. I think the barrel is the old blackened stainless that Winchester used to used.

I'm guessing the gun was really really nice in it's day, and, someone spent some money on it. Any idea what it's worth as is, or refinished? The stock has some dings in it, the barrel is great inside, but faded/worn on the outside, the action needs to be fully cleaned and polished *(tips on bolt dissasembly needed)*, the triggers are in good working order. I don't know what to do about the blackened stainless; polish it out, or re-black it. Serial number is in the 60,000 range with a 'P' at the end, ie- 60500P

Comments, info, and questions are appreciated.

Roy

Edited by - rballi on 04/29/2002 11:10:20

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comments--it is definately a "custom sporter" built by someone other than the Mauser factory. "Fabrica De Armas" will probably turn out to be "Oviedo" or "La Corouna", meaning that the receiver is of Spanish origin; either an 1893 or 1898 model. The addition of a Win. Mod. 70 barrel was a nice touch, as was the double triggers. It sounds like a very nice piece, and I can see why you jumped at the chance to acquire it. As for the bolt disassembly--you will have to determine if it is a '93 or '98. In either case, set the safety on "safe" before removing the bolt from the receiver. Or, if the trigger and sear have been removed from the receiver, you will have to cock the firing pin and set the safety by holding the bolt vertically with the safety end up and pressing the cocking lug against a hard, sharp corner of a workbench, bench vise, etc., and pushing down downward firmly. When pushed far enough you'll be able to activate the safety to retain the firing pin in the cocked position. Now, if it's a '93, you may at this time wish to insert a penny between the bolt sleeve and cocking piece (depending on how well the safety was fitted and how far to the rear it holds the cocking piece) and you should now be able to unscrew and remove the firing mechanism from the bolt body. If it is a '98 you must depress the bolt locking plunger located on the left side of the bolt (when viewed from the rear) and, while holding it in, unscrew the firing mechanism and remove it from the rear of the bolt. From here on it's pretty much the same for both models. Place the tip of the firing pin on a piece of soft wood, like pine, or a stack of newspapers about 1" thick, and holding it vertically with the point down grasp the bolt sleeve firmly and push downward allowing the cocking piece to push upward. When it is clear of the bolt sleeve turn it in either direction 90 degrees. Sometimes they are gummy and don't want to turn easily. At the 90 degree point the interrupted threads in the cocking piece and on the rear of the firing pin will clear each other and you can (while maintaining your downward pressure with one hand) remove the cocking piece upward. Then slowly release your downward pressure on the bolt sleeve/firing pin and the firing mechanism will disassemble into the firing pin, mainspring, and bolt sleeve. After cleaning thoroughly, reassemble in reverse order. How to tell the difference? If it's a '93 (most-but not all) the bolt will probably have a flat shape at the bottom of the bolt face where the bolt contacts the rear of the cartridge when pushing it from the magazine instead of being completely round like the '98. In any event, the '93 will have only the two forward bolt locking lugs; whereas the '98 will have a third lug at the rear below the bolt handle. As for value, this is the most difficult part of your question. As this is a custom rifle there isn't anything to gauge it against other than what one is willing to pay. If it was completely refinished, without a scope, I would think it to be worth about $450 in my area. Once you have it all back together be sure to check the operation of the safety and the double trigger thoroughly before "going afield". If these were improperly installed or are improperly adjusted they could be the source of an unintentional discharge. Best wishes for your project.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This sounds like a dangerous, mixed parts conversion with a hazardous complicated trigger in an obsolete caliber. I would unload it asap.
    In the interests of public safety and the greater good of your range community, I will offer you $200 to relieve you of this liability.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, v35-that's cold! You didn't even include a winking smiley face!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea, really! I was just about to throw the stupid gun in the trash heap and spit on it. Thanks for the infor Der. I'll probably end up re-assembling it before I start to re-finish it. I was told it's a 98 action, but I will double check with your info. I'll try and post some pics of the gun including closeups of the bolt.

Now, let me go take it out of the trash and wipe the spit off of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    PICS!

http://content.communities.msn.com/rballipics/shoebox.msnw?Page=8

I saw the triggers in a Brownells catalog for $150.

Roy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took off the scope base and the top of the receiver says (in a semi circle) Fabrica Nacional De Armas, over the Mexican Crest (I think), and under the crest is Mexico D.F. 1944. So, what is/was it? Will it stand up to a 257 Roberts round?

I'm pretty sure the barrel is blackened stainless steel; I tested two types of cold blue to see if it would take, it didn't stick at all. I'm thinking of bead blasting the barrel to a matte finish, polishing the bolt, and not sure about the rest. I might make it a two tone and blue the receiver and nickel the trigger guard. Who knows.

Roy
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    YOU HAVE A MEXICAN M-1910 MADE IN MEXICO, SHORT M-98 TYPE ACTION. THESE WERE MADE BY F.N. AND BY THE MEXICAN GOV. ON F.N. MACHINERY. GENERALY GOOD QUALITY AND THEY MAKE EXCELLENT SPORTERS. THE M-70 BARREL PROBABLE HAVE THE THREADS CUT OFF AND RETHREADED FOR THE M-98 AND THEN RECHAMBERED, I DIDN'T KNOW WIN. USED S.S. FOR THE .257 ROBERT CHAMBERING (THEY DID USE IT FOE THE .264 AND SOME OF THE OTHER MAGNUMS). LOOKS LIKE A NICE RIFLE EVEN WITH ALL THE DINGS FROM BEING THROWN I THE TRASH.