In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are 6.5X55 and .260 remington exact same round?

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
Are they? Are .260 Remington still made? Saw some at gun show and didn't buy......

Comments

• Options
    hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think the 260 is necked down from 308 case so not the same as 6.5x55mm. i think they still make these guns but not sure.

i never make misteakes.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not only is the .260rem still made, but its getting more and more popular but slowly.

Yes the two cartridges are almost identical in terms of ballistics. They fire the same bullets the same speeds. The difference is in the case shape. The .260 is a necked down .308 and can be used in any short action that the .308 can. The 6.5x55 swed is just a little to long for short action.

I will add more stuff to this topic after work, got lots more data on this topic.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    leeblackman's got it pegged. Kissing cousins in ballistics. DO NOT try to fire the 260 out of the 6.5x55 or the 6.5x55 out of a 260.
  • Options
    dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info!! I finally shot my Swede and got great groups! It was made in 1903. Unbelievable!
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger ,Remington and Browning are all making rifles in .260 as of right now. Its a great whitetail round here in the NEast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, got the book this time, here we go...

The .260remington also known as the 6.5-08 A-Square.

Inclusion of this cartridge presents us with a bit of a problem. long about 1996, A-Square, a bonafide member of SAAMI, submitted drawings, chambering specifications, chambering reamers, sample cartridges and all other necessary materials and data describing a new factory chambering to be adopted into the SAAMI fold. A-Square requested that the chambering be named the "6.5-08 A-Square," as specified on the sample cartridge headstamp. Many months later, Remington submitted a memo to SAMI wherin it mentioned that it intended to eventually standardize a 6.5mm version of the .308winchester as the 260remington. Since SAAMI subsequently chose to christen this chambering as "260 Remington," a disinterested observer would have to conclude that something was a bit rank, somewhere.

(I personally would say that whoever made that desicion was smart, knowing that the general gun public would probably be more consumer confedent with a cartridge named a Remington rather than an A-Square)

This cartridge has precisely two things to recommend it. First, it is a superior choice for long-range target shooting, particualarly in the NRA Highpower game, where reduced recoil with lighter bullets is valuable for the shorter-range events and where barrel life is an issue - a serious competitor can wear out several barrels each year. Second, for those who want or need a very light hunting rifle and are honest enought to admit that they cannot toerate much recoil, this chambering is a superios choice. Hunting load ballistics far exceed what the .243win can produce but are not insurmountably far behind the 7mm-08rem. Nevertheless, this would seen to be a minimal chambering for use on any North American big game. Those intending to use this cartridge for elk hunting should consider on hte best premium bullets, such as bonded-core and partition designs and the 100-grain Barnes X (which will penetrate futher than most 120-140gr premium bullets).

100 Barnes X 47.8grs N550 3295fps 2411e
    120 Nosler BT 45.6grs N550 3060fps 2495e
    140 Nosler Par 49.3grs N560 2868fps 2557e
    156 Norma Oryx 48.0grs N560 2733fps 2587e
    120gr Remginton Factory w/Nosler BT 2890fps/2226e
    125gr Remington Factory w/Nosler Par 2875fps/2294e
    140gr Remington Factory w/PSP Core-Lokt 2750fps/2351e

The 6.5x55swedish 139gr Mil Ball 2625fps/2126e

• Options
    edited November -1
    Oh yea, you can even get FAL's from DSA and M1A's from springfield in the .260rem.

• Options
    rttcrttc Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Rem. model seven s/s synthetic in .260 for hunting deer and hog and will have to admit, its a blessing in disguise. Thats not to say that this round will make up for bad shot placement, very few will.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rttc, I was told by a person I respect very much that that was the ideal gun for hunting deer around here in southeast Texas...

I'm kinda pondering getting a Tikka Whitetail Battue in the .260rem for around here. I just wish there was a way to put something on the reciever that wouldn't obstruct the sights so you could use stipper clips on it.