In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Side by sides for hunting

BoyWonderBoyWonder Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
Are most older side by sides safe to shoot with new ammunition? I'm looking at an L.C. Smith 12ga. SS#300XXX, One barrel stamped ARMOR STEEL the other barrel stamped Hunter Arms Co. Makers, Fulton N.Y. L.C. Smith stamped on both sides of reciever. I sold off 2 Remington 1100s and a rifle to finance a side by side field gun so I want to make sure I get a shooter, ideally one I can get fixed for interchangelable chokes. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    BOYWONDER: My advice to you is to purchase a Modern Side by Side..You can then shoot any Modern Ammo without Worry ! New Steel barrels are much Harder than the old barrels and will take the abuse of Steel Shot...It would be sacriligious to take a Nice Old Antique L.C. Smith or Parker or whatever...and Destroy the Value and possibly the Gun trying to make a Silk Purse out of a Sows Ear...!...Best....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    While I don't disagree with Kirk in principle, I know just how nice a Elcee really is. A new double... Well there just aren't any that compare!

Your gun... Probably not relieved for 2 3/4 shells. While it will shoot them safely, the added recoil won't be good for either your shoulder or the Elcee's wrist. Have a good smith check your gun and do the work if it's needed. Cost will be minimal.

Should you wonder if the above is safe, I had both of my Elcees to the Ithaca Custom Shop in the mid 80's just before they closed their doors. Both guns came out of Ithaca in as-new condition ready to shoot modern loads.

Steel??? Surely you'd never consider doing that anyway! These are upland guns made to shoot light shot and do it with CLASS! Enjoy your old gun. Give it to your son when he's ready to appreciate it. Hope it's passed on for generations as it will last longer than any one of us!

By the way.... You probably couldn't tell that I'm an unabashed Elcee fan.

nord
  • Options
    BoyWonderBoyWonder Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. I don't actually have the gun yet, I'm just shopping. I don't plan to shoot steel. I just enjoy hunting dove and quail a bit in the fall, shoot skeet a few times a month and watch "Hunting With Hank" and the old Rem 1100 (and even newer, low priced O/U's) just doesn't match SxS's for class and character. I don't have a ton of money to spend (ie, under a grand), and all of the NIB guns in that range (Huglu, American Arms) just don't seem to have the quality that an older gun in that price range does.
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I couldn't agree with Nord more, as I,too, am an Elcee fan. Your gun was manufactured in either 1904 or '05, judging from the serial number. Chances are that it has "short chambers". I'd suggest that you take the gun to a 'smith and have him check the lengths, and if it has short chambers, have him bore them out to 2-3/4". Forget screw-in chokes--even if they could be installed, you would ruin the value of your fine gun. Use field loads, and you will soon fall into the catagory of Nord and I !!
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1930's vintage Field grade L.C. with 2-3/4 chambers. There is something about the old side by sides that becomes a part of your soul. I've also owned 4 Ithaca Flues models over the years. Stay away from magnum loads and you should be fine. If you require heavy loads for turkeys or geese buy something modern.

Woods

How big a boy are ya?
  • Options
    gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would pick up a 1920s or later fox sterlingworth. They are true American classics. They are well built guns that handle well and if you do have any problems most decent gunsmiths know how to work on them. For under 1000 you should be able to find one in 85-90% original condition [lots of case color remaining].
  • Options
    rokkmannrokkmann Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger just came out with a side by side.If its anything like there over & under red lables it should be a realy nice shotgun if its falls into your price range.
  • Options
    ishootblanksishootblanks Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with some of the others in that there is nothing like the old doubles. I have or had doubles from Beretta, Ithaca and SKB, but have recently acquired doubles from L C Smith, Ithaca NID, Sterlingworth, and Lefever. My favorite is the L C Smith. It just fits me better than the others. Others have more drop at the comb and heel and some have shorter stocks even though not cut. The L C's are bank vault tight. I have a 20ga and a 16ga and am looking for a 12ga L C to round out the collection. My advice would be to acquire the best older double you can afford and that fits you.

Without the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but...

The comparison of a Sterlingworth and a Elcee is most unfair. There is none and I own both! The Elcee is like a thououghbred, the Sterlingworth more along the lines of a drafthorse. Don't get me wrong... Both fine guns, but the Smith fits and swings and she speaks to me. The Sterlingworth is just a nice classy gun.

Ruger? Three Red Labels in the cabinet as we speak. Hands down the best modern domestic offering to date. If they make a double that compares with their O/U, then I'll have to rethink my first post.

Spend the money to get a gun that fits your style and brings you pleasure whether in the field or in a cabinet. I can't tell you the times I've passed my Elcee's and given them a touch just because they are so beautiful and bring me so many happy memories.

nord