In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Llama 1911A1

FTSLT488FTSLT488 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
What's the low-down on this pistol? Good/bad? What's the going price on a new or used one? Thanks everyone.

Comments

• CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soft metal, poor warranty service, parts are sometimes hard to find, all in all, I would suggest spending a litle more and getting something of a little better quality...Ruger, Spingfield, S&W, Colt etc. We sent a Llama back for warranty service and did not see the pistol for six months!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • FTSLT488FTSLT488 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Chris; you probably saved me a lot of headache. Does anyone have any info/opinion on the South African 1911A1, the Griffon? Thanks for any responses.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Avoid the Griffon also. There is no resale value on this pistol. My buddy bought one, shot it a few times, didn't like it and then tried to sell it. He took a tremendous loss. Stick with well known makes from reputable makers! You can pick up a Mil-Spec Springfield 1911 for not much more than you would pay for a Griffon. The quality is superior, customer support is superior, fit and finish of the weapon are superior. If you are looking for a good, solid 1911 type pistol, check out the auctions on Gunbroker for used Kimbers, Springfields, Colts. If you want a reasonably priced 45, you can pick up a Ruger P-90. Rugers are good, solid guns and they have excellent customer support should you have a problem. Glock makes a few nice 45ACP models, the Sig 220 is a great gun, H&K, Beretta both make excellent 45's.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Generally speaking, in a 1911-type pistol, it's best to stick to those with a proven reputation: Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Wilson, etc.

If $$$$ is a problem, look into the arsenal refurbished Argentine Sistema '27s.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I understand most of the part on the llama 1911's are NOT able to be interchanged with 1911 parts.

There are plenty other 1911's in the same price range that would probably be a better investment.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee

Edited by - leeblackman on 05/02/2002 14:24:00
  • GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been selling the new Llama MAX-1 .45acp, in the basic 1911 form, with great success! The gun comes with an easy to swallow price tag ($250.00 +or-), lifetime warranty and diagrams of parts swap for the Colt type 1911A.

We took it out to run it through it paces (I also brought along a Glock competition shooter) and the only complaint we registered is a common one for 1911s.....it didn't like hollow points, at least the brand we had with us.

More $$$ doesn't always mean you get the best, but it gets you a known entity. Try the Llama MAX-1 and make up your own mind....

"They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull a trigger. I won't!" J.B. Books
    edited November -1
    I have, and its on my trout line right now...

• mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still do not understand why people want to go cheap on a weapon for self-defense. Is your life is worth defending or not? If you are willing to take the time and trouble to defend yourself properly, the gun is the least expensive part of your investment over the years you will own it.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really hate to give bad imput on anyones belongings, as my father taught me one mans junk is another mans treasure.So I will say this two ways.The Llama max1 is not at all reliable,it has been reviewed by many experts with a no buy rating. However I bought a micro max .380 off of a friend who needed some cash, I am not a fan of the .380 but I cant began to count the ammo I fired through it without a malfunction. Guess its like anything else you can get a lemon with anything you buy.

Good Luck !

Rugster
    edited November -1
    Yes, I too have fired llama's without any malfunctions, other with nothing but. I guess all in all I would say that its a great cheap little gun for plinking around with, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

• pavil58pavil58 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree in part with what one of the previous posters wrote in that the metal, at least on the slide, tends to be on the soft-side. I bought a Llama Mini-Max in .45ACP and after I ran a few clips through it it started throwing shots and stove-piping the spent rounds. When I tried to break the pistol down for cleaning I could not seperate the slide and frame! After much work to get it all apart I found that the barrel bushing had actually peened the metal of the slide to the extent that I was not able to break it down without shop tools. I returned the pistol to the manufacturer and they eventually replaced it with a Mini-Max II. I have not used this pistol much at all since then so I cannot say how it will perform or as to the quality of the new models. By the way, all of this happened about 3 or 4 years back.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must be lucky, I have a Minimax .40 and for a cheap gun, which BTW I traded a used Ruger P-90 .45 even up for this gun new, it shoots great out to 20 yds. This gun has been totaly abused in the 4 or 5 years I have owned it, it lives in my pickup and has been dropped, bounced, rusted, shot hard and fast with hydra shocks, silvertips and extremely hot reloads and never gave me problems except for the plastic doohicky that locks the saftey and that was cheap to replace. I considered buying a Kimber but so far this cheap "utility" gun has not let me down after several thousand rounds thru it in the years I've had it. Would I trust this with my life? Well I also trust an AR .223 and I aint scared, so I see no reason to be afraid of this Llama. Who says you need to spend major $ on a hand gun for self defense?