In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Refinishing

lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
The thread about the Colt Python got me thinking. Prior to rebluing, does a gun have to be repolished? If it is in 100 percent condition, couldn't chemically stripping the old blue and then rebluing be done in such a way that it wouldn't look like it had been reblued?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Blackhawk revolver I bought used , it's in good shape but has a little holster wear. I would like to have it refinished, but I would like something besides blueing. I've seen things like hard chrome , electroless nickle , black chrome and NP3.

Has anybody used one of these? I have pretty sweaty hands , do any of these hold up well to that? I'm going to use the gun for hunting and I dont want to keep wiping the gun while I'm hunting. If I dont wipe a blued gun almost immediately my finger prints are permanently attached. Thanx in advance..

GO RED WINGS!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DO NOT REFINISH, DO NOT REFINISH, DO NOT REFINISH TO INFINITY!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a M1911 A1 that was in a fire, after a complete breakdown and cleaning it appears to be fine, except that the finish is ruined. I dont know a lot about refinishing so some suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks

Jon
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know someone with that type of body chemisty, when theres a finish thats resistant to rust causing sweat, we call is Sarge proof. Anyway, I know that hardchrome works, but hardrchome with a poly coat on top of that (NP3 Coat) works better. I also like springfield armories GunKote.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee