In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tasco 3-9x40

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am seeing these scopes for sale, cheep. Are these cheep because Tasco is out of business and they are a good deal? or is it that these are just junk and cheep?

Comments

• Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    You're seeing them cheap because a lot of dealers had a whole shelf full of them and they are just trying to get some of their money back!! The local shops here had 50% off sales with big signs that read "50% off, no returns, no warranty!!" You might get one that gives you good service for 20 years and you might get one that the turret comes completely off while bore sighting!!! GHD
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TASCO HAS DIFFERENT GRADES OF SCOPES. I AM MOST FAMILIAR WITH THE WORLD CLASS AND HAVE ONE IN 3-9X40. I USED THIS MODEL ON A COLT HBAR. GOT GOOD RESULTS OUT TO ABOUT 125 YDS. SWITCHED TO A LEOUPOLD VAR. II AND SAW SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT WITH SAME LOADS OUT TO 200 YDS. MY THEORY IS THAT BETTER OPTICS OF LEOUPLOD WAS REASON. TASCO IS NOW ON MUZZLELOADER AND DOES THE JOB OUT TO 100 YDS. WHICH FOR MY HUNTING CONDITIONS IS MORE THAN ENOUGHT.

GEORGE L. WILD, JR.
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tasco went bankrupt. Bushnell bought the Tasco name. Not sure what they will do with it and haven't seen anything in the financial news to explain this name purchase....maybe, they will sell scopes with the Tasco name.

There was a lot of inventory in the bankruptcy and much of that has been purchased by Discount Houses around the nation. Many Dealers also stock of scopes ranging from a few to a great many. Biggest problem appears there won't be any Warranty for those that have problems. Take away the Warranty and you obviously would hate to spend big bucks for something that if it broke, you had no way to get it repaired......unless you spent to have it done.

Need to remember one thing, here. Tasco has never been a "Top of the Line" Scope. But, they did have several different models which were very satisfactory in some applications and sold for a reasonably good price. If you want to risk a little, buy one of the better Tasco's if you need one at about half price and if it works from the beginning, it will probably be just fine!

This Spring I wanted to get a 3 x 9 x 40 and it was priced around $89.95. I was able to pick up that same scope for $29.95 a while back and decided to give it a try........works great and does a super job on the gun I put it on.......! I think it has turned out to be just fine for me in this case. Time will tell, but for this small of an Investment I thought it would be all right. You have to pay shipping on the scope to a warranty station and pay $10 for Warranty Service when they were servicing them. That would be about $15.00 to have one fixed anyway. Thought I could risk the other $15 and see what happens. I would recommend getting one if it would work for you.

Fish Shudder at the sound of my Name!
  • Options
    Daddy2B8162Daddy2B8162 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have and use 7 Tasco scopes that were purchased before 1990. One is a 2-7 power and the rest are 3-9 x 40's. They have been used on guns from 30-06 to 50 cal muzzele loaders and none of them have given any problems. I may have got lucky on all 7, but then I have heard that quality of the earlier made Tasco scopes was better than on the more recent ones. If you are going to use it on a small cal rifle, you should be okay. But if you want optics for a cal that has some kick, I would suggest a better quality scope. Good luck and have a great time shopping......
  • Options
    beerboybeerboy Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushnell did by Tasco. These old scopes don't come with warrenties. You might want to wate until the new lines come out from Bushnell. They are improving there quality and are going to still offer them at good prices. Also there repair facility is top notch so any problems with the tascos and you shouldn't have any problems getting them fixed.