In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevens 5100

angusmacangusmac Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have found one in a pawn shop. It's a 20ga with plastic (tenite ?} stocks. The shotgun is 85%. They are asking $200.00 for it. Good price?
I can see the head of the stock screw in the buttplate. Is this normal?
Thanks, Leonard.

Comments

• Options
    angusmacangusmac Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Folks,
    A couple of weeks ago, I came into possession of a Stevens 5100 in 12 guage with 26" barrels. It's in great mechanical condition but has been toted and handled a great deal. The curiosity though is, it has an ordnance bomb and US stamped into the left rear of the receiver. Anybody have any thoughts on this one?
    Thanks

"Choose disgrace where obedience would have meant dishonor" Count Georg von der Marwitz
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it is definitely possible.

The Model 5100 is simply a Model 311 made between 1941 and 1950. I have seen one with presumably US military markings on the stock, but without the US markings stamped into the receiver. The government did procure sporting type rifles and shotguns for marksmanship training.

I can locate confirmed purchase records on several models, but not the 311/5100.

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one like you describe, with a Tenite forestock and a Wood stock. I believe they were issued out for recreation use such as skeet or bird hunting. I haven't found anything definitive however.

PHP