In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what do I have here? I know it's a Colt????

praire dogpraire dog Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have in my hands a pistol that was given to a friend. Not real sure of its history. On the left side of the frame at the front of the cylinder it says, (colts patent) on the bottom the gun three serial number locations close to each other, bottom of barrel number (186xx 1/8" from that same number 3/4" from that on the brass strap frame same number again). on the cylinder it says (U S patent No. 640). On the back of the brass strap next to the trigger (36 cal) left side. On the top of the barrel, (-address colt saml colt new-york u s america-) serial number on the bottom of the butt strap. Wood grips and brass frame are in excellent condition, cylinder very good + the barrel has good rifling, all screws are what apeer to be oridginal. A holster that might have been military flap missing rest in good shape. A nipple tool with the other end being a screw driver, plus a bullet mold made of very good steel with one of the molds being a round ball the other a pointed bullet, in the same mold. The gun is in solid conditon and could be shot. Thanks for any info.

Greg Koczur

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    BRASS FRAME........? never heard of a Brass Framed Colt...Post Photo...That will clear up the mystery in a hurry....Unless I'm misunderstanding something....?...I'll check back in the morning.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1851 Navy was .36 and some had a brass frame, most were silver or nickel plated but the plating did not last,so the grip frame would look like brass, back strap should be steel and there should be an engraved scene on the cylinder with a date and serial# of the pistol.
  • Options
    praire dogpraire dog Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jody Commander
    1851 Navy was .36 and some had a brass frame, most were silver or nickel plated but the plating did not last,so the grip frame would look like brass, back strap should be steel and there should be an engraved scene on the cylinder with a date and serial# of the pistol.

There is a scene on the cylinder but faint, also on the cylinder is the words and number (us patent no. 640) back strap is steel. I will try and post a picture later tonight if I get this figured out. thanks for any help

Greg Koczur