In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bushmaster M4 1/9 .223 (BCWA3F 16M4) 3 questions

SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
RE: Bushmaster M4 1/9 .223 (BCWA3F 16M4) Three questions

I was under the impression this Bushmaster M4A3 fired Nato 5.56, and kept reading up on .223 and 5.56, after learning there is a difference in the ammo.

One source says ALL Colt/Bushmaster barrels are chambered for 5.56, and the preferred twist is 1/7.

But a rifle I am considering was described as "Bushmaster M4A3 16" 223"
A link to the BCWA3F 16M4:
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16m4.asp

Is this strictly a .223 rifle?
Would one describe it as a varmit rifle?
What is the true knockdown power?

I entered "knockdown power .223" into google, and got a pretty good link:
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=3780

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    It is NOT just .223 it will shoot any standard .223 or 5.56. They are fairly accurate, but I would not consider most of the the 16" AR's "varmint" guns. I do have a 24" Bushmaster Varminter and every good story you have heard about is is way under rated, I can not tell you how good of a rifle it is. I am not sure what you question is about knock down power is. It depends alot on BBL length and bullet selection what the gun will do. With standard FMJ it will pass through even small animals (ground squirls) and have many times seen them still make it back down their hole. Now shooting same gun with Nosler blastic tips chuncks go every which way. I have heard lots of stories on here of people hunting medium game (white tail deer) with good luck, with the "right" bullet. It is not legal to hunt with .223/5.56 in WA. We were shooting at cinder blocks one time at about 75 yrds. My CAR-15 (11.5" bbl with 5.5" flashider) would break through one side, most of the time. My 24" gun would shoot through both side easily.

So to make a long story short it makes a difference what BBL length you use and what bullet you use as to what it will do. You need to decide what you will use the gun for then decide what to get.

Just remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

John