In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 orginal vs clones

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
I was just wanting to know who makes the most popular 1911 and how does it square up to the orginal 1911. I am thinking about getting one and am trying to grasp which maker to seek. Thanks for the on going information.

knightrider

"No fools, no fun"-Paul Micheel

Comments

• Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Colt is where you want to start for the "original" 1911. Start reading. [:D]

Neo-Jedi Order
    th_reblogo.gif
    Jedi Knight
    th_23031.gifth_22987.jpgMWC '05
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello let me start by saying you asked for opinion .I must of stepped on some toes the last time so this is only My opinion . Your question is sort of asking what is the best Car to get. IMHO you can't go wrong with a series 70 COLT.reason #1 the metallurgy is better then some foreign made guns"YES I HAVE TESTED THEM" I have 2 COLTS with over 150,000 rounds thru them. #2 aftermarket parts will fit if you decide to "trick them out" all parts should be fitted to all guns by someone who knows what he is doing.#3 it is a colt and will increase in value and be something you can be proud of.With that said The SPRINGFIELDS and KIMBERS are for the most part very good and the LES BAER ,WILSON, CLARK, and ROCK RIVER are top grade but costly. I use my pistols in a different way then most shooters BULLS-EYE matches for 40 years so your mileage may vary. "PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Technically speaking, Colt made the first M1911. During WWI the M1911 was also produced by Remington-UMC and Springfield Armory (the United States Armory at Springfield, Mass, not the current commercial company).

The M1911A1 was made by Colt, Ithaca, Remington-Rand (Business Machines), Union Switch & Signal, and Singer.

Those are the only real M1911s and M1911A1s.

Speaking generically, 1911 copies & clones are made by a great many manufacturers. Of the mass-produced 1911s, Colt, Kimber, and Springfield Armory (the current commercial company) are, IMO, at the top of the list.

As Perry Shooter says, Wilson, Clark, Baer, & Rock River (not Rock Island), are top-of-the-line, but expen$ive.

There are many others out there, but they range from mediocre downward.
  • Options
    naconstnaconst Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    first im not a 1911 expert.but if i was to buy one today for a shooter,not a collector,for the price although not cheap,get a kimber.they are match grade,u.s made, shoot great.used by l.a swat,u.s marines,police...
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    there are NO bad 1911's.....at one time I was at the stage I could make any type of 1911's sing and dance with the best of them....how long the song and dance lasted depends on the metallurgy of the gun....competively speaking I would buy the cheapest gun I could find with good metal and a TRAIN FULL OF AMMO because if u go buy a high priced gun u will shoot the gun out before u would realize the full potential of it......i seen soooooo many people buy these high price guns and shoot hole's all over the place and talk a good talk but they can't do the walk[:D]....sooo go buy your train load of ammo and come back next year and we will start up-grading your 100.00 gun......now if u are a Sunday shooter that's a diferent story u need something to show off with[:D]......depending on how much money u have go buy the highest priced gun...... I would listen to Perry shooter....I'm a Colt Man.[:D]

EXAMPLE GUN
    I bought this gun in pieces for something like 60.00 back ([?])> 50 yr.ago or so...I call it the IRON MONGREL because every part on this gun is different Remington Rand slide on a Interarms Sliver Cup frame... up-grade...S&W milled in sights...Ivory Grips......all internal parts mixed and hand fitted...100% ACCURIZED ...this gun will not shoot in cold weather....a rebound (outlaw) trigger.....shown with a target shot off-hand at 25yd's.....this is my show-off gun [:D]....price......to me $100000.00...because it has a lot of history[:)].....now it has been deaccurized for personal protection and does double duty with my other colt's.

45.jpg