In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new stock

naconstnaconst Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am interested in restocking an older M70 30-06. I am looking at fiberglass stocks. I don't really like any of the camo or "marbled" looking stocks that look like a Formica countertop. Does anyone put out a solid (custom) colored stock? I particularly like the style of the old Remington KS Mountain rifles. They had nice sleek lines without the cheap looking checkering effect. High Tech looks promising but not much on their website.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I took off my wood stock for a synthetic one.it seems to be free flooting,but feels alittle too loose at the end of the barrel. did not shoot it yet,just wondering if thats normal with syn. stocks?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for that hard to find combo of price and quality. I am in the market for a new Varmint/Tactical stock for my Savage 10FP. I am looking at synthetics as far as material and have seen quite a range in price, asthetics and quality. I have seen as low as $150 for the Choate Varmint and Sniper stocks to McMillians' A-4 for $410 to a custom made Kevlar and fiberglass stock at $560+.I am looking for any comments on a multitude of stocks from different makers, from those I already named to, H.S. Precision, Lone Wolf, etc. If you can give me a comparison of the three things; quality, asthetics, price; I would appreciate it.Thanks!Pete
  • Options
    drygulchdandrygulchdan Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alot of times shimming with paper towards the end of the the stock will help.If it does i would bed the stock.Brownells has stock bedding available.

Never trust a government that doesnt trust its own citizens with guns 80076-T.gif
    --Thomas Jefferson
    gopher2.gif
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've noticed that some synthetic stocks feel "loose", what I've found is that this is just the flexibility of the thinner part of the synthetic stock (fore end). When you have it off the rifle you can actually twist it and flex it a bit, the action bedding part of the stock is more rigid. What you are experiencing is normal with some synthetic stocks, see how it shoots, then go from there and see if it needs fore end pressure on the barrel or not.
    I prefer wood or a laminate stock any day to a synthetic. I own one synthetic stock and I'm in the process of changing it for a wood one.