In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

12 ga. rabbit ears shotgun

fairgamefairgame Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at a 12ga. double barrel, rabbit ears. It says The Continental Fine Twist. In good shape. Dark finish. Everything tight. He wants 290.00. Anyone know anything about this gun, age or value.
First one I've seen. All numbers match 20447. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He has that old "hammer" SxS over priced by about double its true value.

From the references that I have, "The Continental" was a Trade name used by the Great Western Gun Works of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on firearms they retailed. Between circa 1890 - 1914, there were millions of trade named shotguns imported into the U.S. from Belgium and England (mostly Belgium). There were also a number of U.S. manufacturers that produced utility grade (trade) scatterguns (Crescent was by far the most prolific). If you break the gun down, look for proof marks stamped on the bottom side of the barrels. If it is a Belgian import, it will have "ELG" in an oval stamp.

One other thing... I hope that you do realize that it was damascus barrels, and that it is not safe to shoot with modern smokeless powder shotshells[?] That old scattergun was intended to shoot blackpowder shells, and it was chambered for either 2-1/2-inch or 2-5/8-inch shells. If you were to stuff 2-3/4 (or longer) modern 12 gauge shells in it, things could get real interesting when you pull the trigger[B)][:0].

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a bunch of old black powder doubles with Damascus Barrells. If i could get a $100 apiece I wrap them in black velvet and pay the shipping.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hughbetcha- if all else fails, contact Cracker Barrel restaurants. They have a double hanging over the fireplace in all their locations. They bouhgt up a collection some time back (cheap) and having been using those- but eventually, they way they are expanding, they will run out. Work out a deal, and give a place of honor to those old hard working guns.

"I have good news and bad. Make it through, you don't have to prove anything to anyone the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first." CSM, US Army Ranger School.