In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1890 and 1906

jc40jc40 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Wish to know how headspace can be determined (or measured) and what is correct on the Winchester 1890/1906 .22 caliber rifle. Will appreciate your reply.
jclane40@yahoo.com Thanks

Dr. J. Curtis Lane

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Doc,

Checking the headspace appears to me like it should be a very simple matter. The bolt face is easily accessable and it looks like a flat no-go gauge can easily be inserted between the bolt face and the frame ring from the top (with the rifle completely assembled), or it could be checked for the bottom side if you take it down. I do not know what the actual specifications are... hopefully one of the resident 'smiths has that info.

I am however, quite curious as to why you would need to ever check the heaadspace on a Model 1890 or 1906 .22 rimfire rifle? It is not like the frames on these rifles will ever wear or stretch to the point that the headspace would ever be a problem?

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    just a thought... if you are getting bulged/split fired cases you may have a rifle chambered in .22 wrf this is not a .22 l.r/long/short.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    just a thought... if you are getting bulged/split fired cases you may have a rifle chambered in .22 wrf this is not a .22 l.r/long/short.

Hello Mike,

A Model 1890 will not feed a 22 LR cartridge in a WRF chambered rifle. The Model 1906 was never made in 22 WRF. Bulged/split cases in either Model are indicative of a chamber with excesive corrosion.

Bert H.

Real Men use a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    hi bert, they will one at a time (I've had customers come in with this "problem"). Also had to explain more than once that a .22 rem. special (m-12 rem.) cann't shoot .22 l.r. ect.