In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tang sights.

The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Good morning all from a new forum user but not new to shooting, tho I have a question I've wondered about for a long time.
I had a Sharps rifle once with a vernier type tang sight on it, but the sight had nothing that held it in place once you raised it, like a detent ball for example. So, when you fired, the web of the hand would push the sight down, towards the breech. To shoot again, I would have to raise the arm again until I could see clearly through the aperture.
Is this how they are supposed to work? (Kind of like a receiver peep, where your eye automatically centers the front sight).
Or did I just have a cheap one that was lacking some refinements?

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It probably had a broken or missing detent. Some of the cheaper ones use a friction arrangement by tightening the pivot screw. If you need a new one check here.
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,217.html

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at a long range shoot as a spectator several yuears back,and the long tangs they were using pretty much all folded forward under recoil.
    Ya only get one shot anyway so not really a preblem,eh? :)

DANG,where are may manners?? WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx guys for the feedback. Looks like I'm probably right on my assumptions about re-setting the sight from what you're saying.

A lot of shooters say your thumb should lay along the side of the stock, which might do away with the problem, instead of wrapping it over the wrist but it just doesn't feel comfortable to me that way. Never been able to get used to it tho I've tried some.