In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

colt 1911 restoration

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have such a beast made in 1914. it has been nickel plated. I want the gun returned to correct finish and a few parts replaced with the originals
main spring housing and barrel plus a set of double diamond grips
who knows a good person to restore it besides turnbul?
1911-1914colt_1434.jpg
1911-1914colt_1437.jpg
1911-1914colt_1402.jpg

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Nutmeg Sports can probably do it for you. He is a Colt expert. Read his website and you will see. Disclaimer: I have not actually had any gun work done from him but he did make a pair of Ivory grips for me. The work was exceptional!

http://www.nutmegsports.com/
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be worth a try to take it to Nutmeg, but from what I have seen from observing his site is false advertising. His services does not increase, but decreases the value of any Colt, as this work is not done at the Colt factory, and Colt will not letter it as theirs. So it is kind of like a car one has all customized at a lift shop...the minute you drive it off the lot, the value starts depreciating.

I am sure Nononsense, rufe-snow, and perryshooter will be able to list some other restoration houses besides Turnbull...which by the way I live close by, and have seen his work, and know Doug and his father Terry...it is second to none.

Best

Best
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

I am sure Nononsense, rufe-snow, and perryshooter will be able to list some other restoration houses besides Turnbull...which by the way I live close by, and have seen his work, and know Doug and his father Terry...it is second to none.

Best

OK but isn't turnbul really expensive? as you pointed out it won't increase the value of the pistol (which doesn't have much now) so this is just for me, and I am comparing it with just buying a replica or one that has been restored already.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since Bill Adair passed away, I have not seen the 1911 gurus plug anybody for restoration. Pity, there are a lot of Bubbamatics like this that would benefit from being brought back to GI or stock appearance... as long as there was no attempt to pass them off as original.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Since Bill Adair passed away, I have not seen the 1911 gurus plug anybody for restoration. Pity, there are a lot of Bubbamatics like this that would benefit from being brought back to GI or stock appearance... as long as there was no attempt to pass them off as original.

I just want the gun to be perfect but not get a black army finish I like the blue on the early guns
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

Best

OK but isn't turnbul really expensive? as you pointed out it won't increase the value of the pistol (which doesn't have much now) so this is just for me, and I am comparing it with just buying a replica or one that has been restored already.

I called Turnbull about a Colt recently...did not seem expensive to me. What have you got to lose by calling up and talking to them? On my own Colt, a .32 Model 1903, I have not made up my mind about doing it or not, but "ruining the value" is not my concern; my own enjoyment of the firearm is. Part of me likes it in the condition it's in now

By the way, I would restore that 1911 in a heartbeat. It's already been removed from it's original condition so why the heck not?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello refinish is all in the prep. to the surface. Turnbull does great work and I have used him if the piece warrants spending the money no one local can do Case Color. How-ever I do all my own finish prep with stones and compound on glass as well as wet & dry paper with a hard backing . Never a buffing wheel and I have a local guy do the actual blue bath. . On yours you will have to get nickel / Chrome stripped first.
  • wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Blairweescot

I called Turnbull about a Colt recently...did not seem expensive to me. What have you got to lose by calling up and talking to them? On my own Colt, a .32 Model 1903,

What (ballpark) did Turnbull quote you (if you don't mind my asking)?
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My situation's more complex than yours, but we were talking the 250 range. Add shipping though, and of course they can't really quote unti they get the pistol in-hand. Could be additional expenses such as broken springs, etc
    edited November -1
    and how long do they have your gun? I have also heard they can take up to 6 months to complete the work?