In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I've got the hankerin' for a new rifle

bigfootbigfoot Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Kinda into rimfires right now. Fun and cheap to shoot with ammo prices the way they are. I have two CZ 452s, a taurus 62, and a Ruger 10/22. All good guns and fun to shoot. I was thinking about a Marlin model 60. Kinda like the tubular magazine and have heard really good things about the model 60 (except for the crappy trigger). Also one of the really iconic rifles that I don't have. Wally World here has one in stainless with a stndard wood stock. The barrel looks quite heavy compared to my 10/22. Is that the standard barrel for the model 60? Anyway, I would really appreciate any input regarding this. Also considering the little semi-auto from Thompson, but it does cost quite a bit more and has (I think) only about an 8 shot mag. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say hold out for the Kimber 84M Classic.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I'm not a fan of 'em, but I think you need a lever gun in there. Either a Marlin 39a or a Henry.
  • Options
    savage1701savage1701 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the savage semi mine surprised me on how well it shoots
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Marlin 60, after all, isn't it the law that if you have more than 3 rifles one of them has to be a Marlin 60 ?? I'm pretty sure it is.

Oh, yeah, also if you have two rifles or more, one of them has to be a lever action 30-30, that's the other part of the law.

At least, that's what I told my wife and she bought the story !!!!

Dan R
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Another one thats a real hoot is the Taurus model 63, I bought one when they first came out, and have been very happy. Mine has beautiful wood, and realy nice fit and finish, eats everything and shoots straight. Friend of my grandads had a 03 Winchester, always admired it, couldn't find a Winchester 63 I could use as a shooter, so Taurus solved the problem.
    W.D.
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    quote:The barrel looks quite heavy compared to my 10/22. Is that the standard barrel for the model 60?
    I have a 25 (or so) year old Marlin model 700.
    It was the early model 795 ? (clip fed) and has an 18" barrel.
    Mine is not quite bull-barrel profile, but pretty close to it.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go with the model 60, just keep it clean and don't over oil it.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is hard to beat the CZ 452/453 at nearly any price, unless you get into the Cooper/Anschutz/Dakota range.

However, the Browning T-bolt is on my wishlist, as is a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle.
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seeing as how you're asking for suggestions, mine would be to use the money to take your wife out for a nice dinner and a play/movie and shoot your 10-22 Ruger. You'll make BIG points with your wife and the Ruger is the most "fun gun" going.[:D] I recently shot mine for the first time at 50 yards and I couldn't believe the group - 20 shots in 1 1/2" and I wasn't really taking a lot of time with the shots. If you absolutely HAVE to get a new one, like a previous poster mentioned, try a lever. If you can find an earlier Winchester 94-22 they are a nice piece of hardware. Just my $.02.
    yooper
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigfoot
    Kinda into rimfires right now. Fun and cheap to shoot with ammo prices the way they are. I have two CZ 452s, a taurus 62, and a Ruger 10/22. All good guns and fun to shoot. I was thinking about a Marlin model 60. Kinda like the tubular magazine and have heard really good things about the model 60 (except for the crappy trigger). Also one of the really iconic rifles that I don't have. Wally World here has one in stainless with a stndard wood stock. The barrel looks quite heavy compared to my 10/22. Is that the standard barrel for the model 60? Anyway, I would really appreciate any input regarding this. Also considering the little semi-auto from Thompson, but it does cost quite a bit more and has (I think) only about an 8 shot mag. Thanks.

To actually answer the question. . .

Is anyone actually shooting the standard barrel that comes with a 10/22? [;)]

OK, seriously, no, I don't think the standard Marlin 60 barrel is noticeably heavier than the Ruger 10/22 stock barrel. (Though again, since I never shoot a stock Ruger barrel, I can't say absolutely!).

Actually, I like the way the Marlin feels/balances better than a stock Ruger, thought that's subjective.

I wouldn't describe the trigger on mine as "great", but I also wouldn't call it "crappy". Its fine and certainly adequate for plinking or casual (ie non-match) type shooting.