In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MOSSBERG 500A help

riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Help with this muzzlebreak on this 500 A I traded for I cant tell if its a permanent fixture Set screws which probably would loosen or threaed which would.................. Ive never seen one like this on a Mossberg Is it factory or aftermarket
thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    riflemike,

It would be simpler if you could post a photograph of your muzzle brake since we wouldn't have to guess as to what it really looks like.

To get you started though, one of the Mossberg model 500 barrels comes with ports or holes drilled in the end of the barrel which act to reduce recoil.

There is the model 930 SPX which is one of their 'tactical' shotguns which is available with a muzzle brake but it's not a 500 series shotgun.

If your barrel is threaded for choke tubes, there are muzzle brakes available in the aftermarket which use those threads to attach the brake. Generally speaking, the barrels would be too thin for set screws... but as usual, there are always exceptions and I don't keep track of every accessory for every firearm.

Post a picture, let's see what yours looks like.

Best.

ADDED:

There is a model named 'M500 Roadblocker' which comes with a tank-style muzzle brake, heat shield and a pistol grip...

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry I thought I did Its early need more coffee
    here we go
    DSCN5487.JPG
    DSCN5486.JPG
    DSCN5485.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    riflemike,

Excellent pictures! Thanks.

That is an aftermarket or 'custom' designed brake which is threaded onto the outside of the barrel. The threaded portion is slightly long allowing for the lock ring (the knurled piece with holes in it) to be fitted and tightened against the back of the brake, not only to retain it but to time it easily to top dead center. The little holes in the lock ring are for a spoke-type wrench used to assist in tightening the lock ring.

The Picatinny rail glued and screwed to the bottom of the brake is for some other accessory, a light perhaps?

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But how long would the barrel be with the break off do you reackon?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    riflemike,

I would have no idea unless I took the brake off and measured the barrel. It could be any length up to the back of the first hole in the brake. But the absolute length will be measured with the brake off.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It has to be 18"to be legal right, and 18" with a muzzle break that is a permenant fixture is what I am getting at
  • Options
    edited November -1
    riflemike,

Shotgun is 18" plus a little for stupid officials who can't measure.

I haven't looked into 'permanently' attaching a muzzle brake to a shotgun. Maybe one of the other members has experience with this or knows the proper citation.

This muzzle brake is not permanently attached since it prominently features a lock ring. One of the definitions of permanent involves either welding, soldering or a combination of one with a pin. This applies to rifles and again you will need confirmation from someone with the proper citation.

Best.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hold on a second.

Mossberg has out a factory model called the "Rolling thunder" that uses a similar muzzle brake and is drilled and tapped to install a Picatinny rail on the brake.

Note that this factory gun also has a retaining ring on the brake, and I think uses set screws:

Image is too large to hotlink, but click here for a good look:
    http://www.fatwallet.com/attachments/9530_55605.jpg

I don't know if rifle-mike's gun is one of these or not, but to my eye it does look similar. Presumably the Mossberg factory model has a legal length barrel.

Assuming Rifle-Mike's gun is NOT factory original and has an aftermarket brake on it, it should still be legal, so long as the barrel wasn't cut down before installation.

The only way to know for sure is to measure the actual barrel length.

You may be able to do that without removing the brake **IF** you can ascertain where the barrel ends inside the brake (EG with a bore-scope, or some such).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks beantownshootah
    that is my gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sometimes it's like playing 20 questions trying to get viable, accurate information to work with...

As stated above:

"...but as usual, there are always exceptions and I don't keep track of every accessory for every firearm."

It's nice to see that someone has the time to track down a little detail from some manufacturers.

I looked at that brake and couldn't for the life of me believe that a manufacturer could make something that ugly and then attach it to a decent shotgun. Oh well! Goes to show you that you can't expect too much from manufacturers these days.

Best.