In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 1890

abkabk Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I HAVE A WINCHESTER MODEL 90 THIRD MODEL IN .22WRF WITH A ROUND BARREL -NOT OCTAGON. THE SERIAL NUMBER IS 580417 ON BOTH THE LOWER TANG AND UNDER RECEIVER MAKING THE MANUFACTURE DATE 1917. I CAN FIND NO ROUND BARREL 1890 RIFLES IN .22WRF - IS THIS A REBARREL? WINCHESTER LOGO MARKS ARE BOTH ON BARREL AND RECEIVER IN PROPER LOCATION. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
VERN

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up a Winchester Model 1890 at a garage sale recently that was missing the magazine. It is one of the earlier models with an octagonal barrel and no take down screw. The serial #130XX indicates that it was made in 1892. The finish was not in great shape, but I cleaned it up, replaced the magazine with a new one, and now it shoots (.22 shorts) just fine. My question is whether it would be worth trying to find an older, used magazine to put it back into original condition, or just be happy with it hanging on my wall as is? I'm not trying to sell it, but if it's truly rare, it would be nice to know what its value is and whether it would be worth hunting down an older magazine. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    An 1890 that my great grandfather bought in 1906 when the rifle was manufactured is now in my hands. I am not looking to sell it but I would like to know more about it because it does not seem to fit the normal models, at least when looking in one gun value book. But I was hoping someone on here could help me out with the history of this gun and what it might be worth for insurance reasons.

It has a serial number in the 65k range. It has the original factory blued barrel and according to the gunsmith I took it to the condition is still greater than 60%. It has the octagonal barrel with the 15 round tube mag.

However the receiver does not seem to have been blued, or if it was there is none of it left. It was sitting in storage for several years and there was on rust on it.

It is chambered in .22 Long.

It also has a fixed rear sight.

The stock has the metal but plate on it, and all of it is still in very good condition. It looks very nice has never been re varnished but it does have some wear near the grip which is expected from a gun that was used to hunt squirrel for dinner on a regular occasion.

The rifle still fires and is very accurate.

Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 1890. 22 short. Octogon barrel. I believe it to be the First Model. Serial number is 9942. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what this gun is worth? I know that is a very broad question since there are many factors to consider. I'd like to sell it and need a starting point. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We have come into possession of a Winchester Model 1890. It has the number 22 on the top rear of the BBL. Can anyone tell me which 22 this may be. I suspect that it is the 22 WRF but I am not sure. The serial # of the gun is 2023xx. Thanks Vic & Jane
  • Options
    edited November -1
    could someone tell me the approx. value of winchester model 1890 22 short
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 1890 in .22 Short that is really a very, very nice old rifle, but it has been fooled with at some point in the past. By being fooled with I mean that the receiver and magazine do not retain any original finish, and if memory serves me right, the proof mark that had been on the receiver has been mostly, or totally, removed, but it does retain its sharp edges. The action is great as is the bore, and the original bluing on the barrel is excellent. The wood is excellent as well. I doubt that I'll ever shoot it, but I have a hankering to fix it up "to make it look really, really nice," without having to do a very expensive and complete Turnbull type restoration in order to get the metal finish to match up well on all pieces. Ideally, a top of the line reblue of the receiver and magazine tube to match the barrel blue finish that it now has which is original would be perfect, but can such a thing be done without having a receiver and magazine that looks newer than the barrel? I'd also need to have the buttplate refinished to match as well. I really would appreciate some guidance to this end. Also, I like scoped Winchesters, and since this rifle is no longer original, it would be a great piece to fit with a nice old Winchester A5 Scope, or a tang site for that matter. Any and all helpful replies will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone tell me what the difference is between the first, second and third model?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was looking for a Winchester model 1890 and some guns were showing up as model 90. Are the model 90s the same as a model 1890. Thank You
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Winchester model 1890 what is the value?

http://img714.imageshack.us

dsc0139jwi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc01272mk.jpg

dsc0117ol.jpg

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Your great grandfather's old Model 1890 is a Second Model that was manufactured in the early part of the year 1899 (February is when the receiver was serialized). The good news is that you can purchase a factory letter for it from the Cody Firearms Musuem, which will provide you with the precise date that it was received in the warehouse from the assembly room.

The receiver frame was originally case color finished versus being blued, and that is why it does not appear to have any bluing on it.

The graded condition will determine how much collector value it has, and without seeing the gun in person (or having a series of well illuminated and clear pictures), it is not possible to determine what value is at this point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Right now the rifle is at my parents house for safe keeping. I would be able to send you some pictures in 3 weeks or so if that would be alright and you would be able to help me.

Thanks,

Alex
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by abk
    Right now the rifle is at my parents house for safe keeping. I would be able to send you some pictures in 3 weeks or so if that would be alright and you would be able to help me.

Thanks,

Alex

Hello Alex,

When you are able, please post pictures of it here on the forum, and I will assist you further at that time.