In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 12 Shell Length

lawsonzlawsonz Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a model 12 16 gauge. It is made in 1926. From what I read, the guns from this year are chambered for a 2 9/16 shell.
Would it be ok to shoot low brass target loads in 2 3/4 chamber?

Comments

• Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's a 2-9/16" gun you're going to have ejection problems.
  • Options
    45gunner45gunner Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out www.rstshells.com They sell new loaded shotgun shells in the older lengths and these are lower pressure also.[:D]
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't alter the gun, not that you mentioned doing so. A lot of those old model 12s were altered to use the new ammo. It really decreases the value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like I may be trying to trade this for one that uses modern shells. Is this going to make it worth less than one that uses modern shells?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lawsonz
    Is this going to make it worth less than one that uses modern shells?

It depends upon what the graded condition of the gun is. To a purist collector, the short chamber is a must, and it slightly enhances the value. To a person who is a "shooter", the short chamber is a negative to the value.
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "from what I read"?Did you measure it ?It may have been altered already.Check it out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "from what I read" means from research I've done on the internet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "from what I read" means from research I've done on the internet.

Winchester made the change from the short 2-9/16" chamber to the 2-3/4" chamber in June of 1926, and announced it in the 1927 catalog. If your gun does not have a chamber length marked on it, it has the older short chamber. When Winchester made the change to the 2-3/4" chamber, they began the practice of marking it on the barrel of the gun (though a few guns will be found with the chamber length marked just above the loading port on the bottom of the receiver).

Many Model 12 20-gauge and 16-gauge guns were sent back to the Winchester factory to be rechambered and have the ejection port opend up... if Winchester did the work, they marked the new chamber length on the gun (usually just above the loading port on the bottom of the receiver). If your gun is unmarked, you should assume that it still has the short chamber unless there re positive signs that it has been opened up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help.

Mine has no markins at all on it, but from what I can measure it seems to have a 2 3/4 chamber. I'll probalby try taking it to the local gunshop and see if they have any way of measuring it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help.

Mine has no markins at all on it, but from what I can measure it seems to have a 2 3/4 chamber. I'll probalby try taking it to the local gunshop and see if they have any way of measuring it.

The lack of markings strongly suggests that it has the 2-9/16 factory chamber. Keep in mind that a 2-3/4" shell will slide right into the chamber with no problems... it is only when the shell opens up on firing that it becomes 2-3/4" long.