In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope Elevation

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Quick question regarding scope elevation and shimming - my friend's scope runs out of elevation, should he shim the front ring or rear ring to correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Treat a scope just like sights if you forget about the turrets . in other words you move the rear of the tube the same way you want the impact Higher the rear Mount higher the shot will print on the paper if you make the front mount higher this will make the shot print /hit lower on the target.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, so shimming (raising) the rear will raise point of impact. Got it, thanks.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher,

I know you want a simple solution to your question but I can't help but think that there is a reason for the lack of elevation adjustment. Usually we're trying to shoot too far for the amount of adjustments available on the scope.

Normally when a shooter runs out of elevation it's because they didn't start in the middle of the elevation range. They slapped the scope into the rings and didn't bother to get the scope centered with the bore mechanically (bore sighted), depending rather on the scope adjustments to correct any misalignment.

Another common occurrence is the choice of wrong rings for a specific action model. Equally problematic is when they switch the rings around accidentally. I've seen this happen on many occasions.

Very minor shimming is acceptable although crude especially when a company such as Burris makes fine rings with nylon inserts to use for some corrections. These rings do not stress the scope tube whereas shimming can.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    dfletcher,

I know you want a simple solution to your question but I can't help but think that there is a reason for the lack of elevation adjustment. Usually we're trying to shoot too far for the amount of adjustments available on the scope.

Normally when a shooter runs out of elevation it's because they didn't start in the middle of the elevation range. They slapped the scope into the rings and didn't bother to get the scope centered with the bore mechanically (bore sighted), depending rather on the scope adjustments to correct any misalignment.

Another common occurrence is the choice of wrong rings for a specific action model. Equally problematic is when they switch the rings around accidentally. I've seen this happen on many occasions.

Very minor shimming is acceptable although crude especially when a company such as Burris makes fine rings with nylon inserts to use for some corrections. These rings do not stress the scope tube whereas shimming can.

Best.

Actually this is a friend's rifle and the scope is a Weaver 6 to 24X, the thing is running out of elevation at 200 yds on a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WM, so tood far isn't an issue. He has medium Redfield turn in rings, I didn't get the chance to fiddle too much with the gun, suggested the Burris to him and he said he'll consider.

I'm wondering if a change of rings - brand or type, would help.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the Burris Signature rigs are the greatest since sliced bread . They come with standard inserts butt also offset ring inserts That will allow you to change the centerline of the scope in relationship with the centerline of the rings to do what is needed in your case. Best part they will not damage the scope tube but are self alineing .
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher,

Under 'normal' circumstances, with a properly adjusted scope, you generally don't run out of elevation adjustment at 200 yards. This can be an indication of something else being amiss. We can suggest solutions to problems all day long but without someone actually checking the scope, mount and rings, he can shim away and not solve the real problem.

Best.