In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.338 Lapua vs .338-378 Wby Mag

grissomgrissom Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Just wondering everyone's thoughts between the two. I know there is not much of difference between the two but it seems ammo might be a bit more common now in the Lapua. Is there any other advantage I might not have thought of to consider? I think availability and ammo cost might make the Lapua the way to go between these. Feel free to suggest another caliber but I am looking for something in this range. Thanks PG

Comments

• Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are very volumous cartridges and consume lots of powder; are capable of pushing the 250gr. bullet to impressive velocities. Though all brass has become more expensive the Lapua brass seems to almost have doubled in price compared to that I last bought. Seems I can find .378 brass in more places & it is probably a lot cheaper but I am partial to non belted cases. Just an opinion.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grissom
    Just wondering everyone's thoughts between the two. I know there is not much of difference between the two but it seems ammo might be a bit more common now in the Lapua. Is there any other advantage I might not have thought of to consider? I think availability and ammo cost might make the Lapua the way to go between these. Feel free to suggest another caliber but I am looking for something in this range. Thanks PG

Is this a target gun or a hunting rifle? If it's a target gun at what range are you usually shooting?

I have the 338 LM in an AR 30 and am the official "reloader" for about 5 various 338 LMs. I think the main advantage of the 338 LM vs the 338/378 is the guns in which they are offered and the durability of brass. The LM is offered (in US) in mainly target rifles whereas the 338/378 is offered in primarily hunting rifles. Good LM brass lasts a long time, very solid casing in the Lapua brand although I can't speak for Hornady or the latest Privi Partizan offerings.

Personally, my first choice in the 338s would be the 338 RUM. Ballistics are excellent and brass is cheap compared to the LM and 338/378. I went with an AR 30 in LM only because I got the thing from a friend for under $1K.

Hopefully when you mention ammo cost you mean reloading ammo cost. Just a ballpark figure, but 20 rounds of 338 LM reloaded costs me about $21.00.