In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone Know About Stage/ Prop Guns

44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331953414

Can anyone tell me who might have manufactured this. It is a well made replica from Japan.

Comments

• lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,053 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possibly made by Nakata ? Ive seen every thing from Lugers to MP40s made by them.Try a search.[:)]
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is probably chambered for a blank round called a 5-in-1, they were used in many blank adapted pistols and rifles for westerns.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 5in 1 round was made for real guns. That one probably uses a type of 9mm blank that is designed only to fit a prop gun.

You can buy them new from $95 to $165.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early Japanese replica guns were so realistic, that laws were passed over there to regulate them and their manufacture. The one on the auction might be one of the early versions before the laws were changed.

They were so realistic, before the laws were changed. That unknowing folks in the States, have been stuck with the early production ones. Years ago I knew a Army reservist from calli who had one turn up in his arms room. All they could figure is that some wise guy turned it in, after coming in from the field. The armorer just stuck it in the rack with the other 45's with out checking it out.
  • BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of prop guns, I have some 45 Colt rounds that are nickel plated fakes, I believe. The shell, bullet and primer all appear to be plated. They won't chamber fully in any 45 Colt cylinder that I have, either Colt or S&W. The bullet sticks too far out of the shell, and doesn't allow the cylinder to turn with the round in it. Got into trouble with my SAA, and had to disassemble the cylinder from the frame to remove the round. Neat looking, though. Thought they might have been made for the Lone Ranger movies, as they came from St. Louis area where John Hart was from. Anyone interested in a couple? BT
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BUCKAWHO
    Speaking of prop guns, I have some 45 Colt rounds that are nickel plated fakes, I believe. The shell, bullet and primer all appear to be plated. They won't chamber fully in any 45 Colt cylinder that I have, either Colt or S&W. The bullet sticks too far out of the shell, and doesn't allow the cylinder to turn with the round in it. Got into trouble with my SAA, and had to disassemble the cylinder from the frame to remove the round. Neat looking, though. Thought they might have been made for the Lone Ranger movies, as they came from St. Louis area where John Hart was from. Anyone interested in a couple? BT

I would! I was a huge Lone Ranger fan!
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like someone body puddied the cyclinder from moving?
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, that's just some odd light coming through the frame. The cylinder turns just fine.
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    A word of caution. Stage or prop guns can kill! The charge has to be held in by something, usually an over the powder wad which is propelled out of the barrel when the gun is fired. These have only a short range but can be deadly for a short distance.
    Several years ago a TV actor put a prop gun loaded with blanks to his head and pulled the trigger. The wad killed him.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ned Fall
    A word of caution. Stage or prop guns can kill! The charge has to be held in by something, usually an over the powder wad which is propelled out of the barrel when the gun is fired. These have only a short range but can be deadly for a short distance.
    Several years ago a TV actor put a prop gun loaded with blanks to his head and pulled the trigger. The wad killed him.

Yep. Jon-Erik Hexum.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BT I have a collection of cartridges I use to teach NRA pistol courses, etc.. if you're offering a couple of the blank "prop" cartridges I'm game.