In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can I shoot slugs through an 870 Skeet barrel?

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I know I can shoot sabot slugs through my Imp Cyl barrel, but what about a Skeet barrel?

The gun in question is a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga.

I found a nice glossy blue Skeet barrel on the auction site here, and am interested in it only if I can also shoot sabot slugs through it safely.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run my hard cast Lyman sabot slugs in my 870 Express with a choke tube marked skeet #2. Would catch dinner at 90 yards the size of a 3 pound coffee can. A mid bead helps a lot for accuracy.
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    Sure can. Your skeet barrel should have about .005 less constriction than the imp cyl barrel.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    floorguy24,

The answer is yes, you can shoot slugs thru your skeet barrel. That chkoe happens to be more open than improved Cylinder.

Being a SKEET barrel, it most likely be chambered for 2 3/4" shells, so probably you will not be able to use 3 inch shells. Also, it will prefer the rifled, Foster type slugs, over the sabotslugs(they need a rifled barrel).

Best
  • Options
    floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the replies, very helpful.

Also, I blew it on the "sabot" slugs. I meant to say "rifled". I always get them mixed up...