In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

selling broken guns

mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
i have a very large amount of broken firearms. from pistols ,rifles, muzzleloaders,military, that i recieved from an lady wsameved out of state theywere her late husbands scrap as she called them. i do have my c&r lic, question can i sell the firearms that are intact but broken as whole. what i have seen so far none work or could be made to work, just used for parts thanks

Comments

• Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You certainly can, either you or your local FFL dealer will have to ship the modern guns to the buyers FFL for transfer.
    You might be better off striping the parts from the frames and just auctioning the parts lot as a whole, then you could ship directly to the buyer, less the frames. I'd probably be interested if you go that route.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While your C&R may be useful for identification when you are trying to get an FFL to accept delivery of a firearm from you, it has no legal privileges when disposing of a gun.

The frame of a firearm IS the firearm; whether or not the gun works is irrelevant. When selling a broken/incomplete firearm, you must follow the same regulations that apply to a functioning firearm of the same type.

In all cases, you must ship to a verified FFL holder. You may ship a long gun by USPS, UPS or Fedex. You may only ship a handgun by UPS or Fedex Next Day Air.

In some cases, you may do better selling the parts, & destroying the frame. It depends.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    was hopeing to sell them whole. most are pre 1960s from what i saw als olots of old knifes an military gear.thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, if i have to distroy the frams is that legal.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mmppres
    thanks for the info, if i have to distroy the frams is that legal.

No, you can destroy them if you please. As others have said, there is a HUGE market for used gun parts. If you just want to dispose of them. And are not concerned w/getting top dollar. Contact Numrich Arms. For decades they were the premier used gun parts vendor. But they pay you pennies on the dollar that they will charge. Things have changed since the advent of the internet. People are A. Now researching and more often attempting home gun repair. Therefore more parts being purchased. And B. Not selling junk guns to Numrich. Preferring to sell them themselves online.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do NOT destroy any frame unless it is a non-legal full automatic.
    If you live in free state, you may just be destroying something of value to someone. Hold them, list locally or send/sell them to a FFL.
    A rare or collectible frame means more to me and many others than some unconstitutional law passed by some poli-tics-ans 1000 miles away.!!
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:can i sell the firearms that are intact but broken as whole.You can sell broken guns like any other guns. In a face-to-face transaction in state, if that's allowed in your state, or via an FFL between states, like any other interstate gun transaction.

Note that you said this collection was obtained from someone out of state. Depending on what state you're in and how they got into your state, that potentially has legal implications, if you follow what I'm saying here.

quote:none work or could be made to work
    Well, if every part in the gun is really totally rusted or damaged beyond repair, you really do have a big pile of junk and you might as well just scrap all of it. But I doubt that this is the case.

Assuming the guns aren't rusted or otherwise damaged beyond repair, they should be repairable, assuming enough new parts added. It just may be cost-prohibitive in terms of parts and labor cost to restore them to working condition.

Old muzzleloaders or military guns have (limited) value as "wall hangers" even if they aren't actually shootable or worth fixing up.

And even if the insides are totally corroded and the bores are worthless, just the gun furniture can be valuable depending on what it is.

quote:Originally posted by Knifecollector
    You might be better off striping the parts from the frames and just auctioning the parts lot as a whole, then you could ship directly to the buyer, less the frames. .

This.

Gun parts are valuable, and like with cars or many other things, the sum value of parts sold separately can exceed the value of an entire gun.

The question is really, what do you have there? If they're really "junk" (ie 60s era pot metal guns) it just may not be worth the trouble to try and part them out. But you never know. . .1-2 rare "gems" could be worth a surprising amount.

I think the first step is to go piece by piece, figuring out exactly what you have and what's wrong with them.

quote:thanks for the info, if i have to distroy the frams is that legal.
    Its legal, its just not advisable to destroy frames that may have value. Again, it depends on what you've got.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the guns are orginally from my state the widow moved out of state an i am unable to contact her. i feel that most of the h&r break top typs pistols could be put back in service. with some work as they have broken or missing parts not to much rust. would it be proper to list them as such to sell an only ship to a ffl holder or other c&r holder. sorry for all the questions i just dont want to break any laws
  • Options
    edited November -1
    here is apicture of 4 of the pistols 1 is a h&r missing trigger an hing bolts.1 is richards bicycle works missing trigger guard an rusty barrellarger dark one is marked made in spain, larger silver one is no name just letter h in grips. these show from good to bad [img][/img][img][/img]
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what you have said it appears the guns are legally in your possession, unless you you live in a state where all sales, unlicensed individual to unllicensed individual must go through an ffl dealer. I suggest you don't attempt to part them out as you would have to know the proper nomenclature of each part and exactly what make and model it came from.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the parts are not of great value wait for one of the gun buyback programs.