In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mounting Scope on Savage 24J

22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Just acquired a 24J (22LR over 20 gauge) and want to mount a scope. It has grooves on the top of the rifle barrel and it appeared that standard 22 rings for grooved receivers would work. However, the "arch" of the barrel is too high to allow the rings to tighten at least on the two sets (Traditions and an unknown maker's set)I have at hand. There may be enough metal between the bottom of the base and the through bolt for tightening to allow filing more of an arch in the rings. Before I do that though I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of rings that were made for the Savage 24 which would fit without filing. . .or other workable solutions? Thanks.

Edit: perry shooter, yes, and the warning not to fire the shotgun barrel with a scope in place is on the receiver. I wouldn't mount a scope except that I can't see the sights well enough to be very effective with them.

Edit 2: MIKE WHISKEY, darn, once again I overlooked the obvious and likely best answer. Might try the file approach on the 22 rings anyway unless someone comes up with a better idea.

Comments