In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Replica rifles

jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I've been looking for a .45 cal. Spencer or a .45/70 cal. Calvary sharps replica. Most research I've done on forums tell me that the only good ones are made by pedroseli or uberti. I've found a armi sport up for auction but have heard they break often and the accuracy is terrible. Any opinions on these guns would be helpful.
Thanks jw

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do have a Pedersoli made Quigly 1874 Sharps copy. I can tell you, that I wish the vernier sight had better windage adjustment, but I can hit a gallon milk jug, out to 400 yards with it.

Not sure about the Armi San Marco, but I have heard the Uberti's are nicely made also.

Best
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Check out Shiloh Sharps, hand made in the USA and not a whole lot more expensive than Pedroseli or Uberti.

http://www.shilohsharps.com/
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen several pedroseli and uberti that weren't all that wonderful. Close inspection before buying if you can.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pedersoli Sharps are ok. Uberti Sharps are made for them by Pedersoli.
    I'd rate Armi Sport lower.

C. Sharps is American made of great quality and without the long delivery of Shiloh.

I don't know much about Spencer repros but would be careful about getting one in a nonstandard caliber.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years back I had quite a few BP cartridge guns, both original and replicas. Most important thing is to slug the bore and use the correct diameter bullets.

If you use Black Powder it's more volatile. It will cause a slightly under size bullet to slug up into the rifling, and hopefully be more accurate. Smokeless powder won't do this. So it's best to use a bullet .002 over groove diameter.

If you have a slightly over sized commercial, none standard bore. Modern commercial ammo loaded with smokeless powder will likely be disappointing.