In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 243

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone give me some info on a savage mod. 110 in .243 cal. It was built in the very early 60's. It came with a savage 4x scope. It also had a plain uncheckered stock. I am sure it was probably not a top of the line model. What I would like to know is was this just a standard mod 110 or did it have something else added to the model number? I can find all kinds of the mod 110 but they all have a checkered stock or they are synthetic. A very good friend of mine had one but had it stolen. It was given to him by his employees and I am trying to find one to replace it.

Thanks
Gene

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably an "E" model. That was the low end during that period.Is it old enough to have the thin barrel with the lump for the rear sight? If so it likely won't fit any current stock. That action is about midway in length between the current short and long actions.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the early 70's my buddy acquired a use 110 E in 30-06, plain jane iron sights. We shot away a 5 gal bucket of pulled 172 gr FMJ, gallons of pulled tracer and 100's of pounds of cast bullets. It never shot as good as the BDL Remington in 308, but not enough most folks could tell the difference on minute of whitetail.

That rifle did earn my respect the day it survived 2 full case rounds of 4895 instead of 4831.