In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who made these rifles.

atrishaatrisha Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I posted this on the Competion fourm. So here it is. I have two rifles one is 22-250 and the other is 25-06 with a heavy barrel. Both guns have the same markings. Any info would be great.
E7741316-EA11-4198-92F6-B91B1FB570FA-1097-000000CFF5FF83B8.jpg
A2DFB161-9238-44EF-87AA-A36B683A2230-1097-000000D01604CBF3.jpg
673B017C-2EC4-4A8D-ACF0-C026D0F26119-1097-000000D029DEF6FB.jpg
73F4846C-764F-4EE5-882D-3268038FF2F6-1097-000000D03B1DD52F.jpg
2790A08F-9BA9-43E0-9593-D7B21CAD3942-1097-000000D0490CD0CC.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    US law requires all foreign made manufactured goods to be marked with country of origin. See if their are any marking on the receiver or barrel, concealed by the stock.

If not some US based gunsmith made them. The only way to find out who, is if somebody can identify the monogram?

EDIT #1, Herters was a large mail order, sporting goods, importer/distributor, located in MN. The stuff they sold was utilitarian, aimed at the economy market, for folks that didn't have a lot of money. They put out a large yearly catalog that carried most everything, you could imagine, for hunting, fishing, trapping etc. Most all of the guns they sold under their name, were just rebranded European imports.

They went out of business in the early 80's. I heard it had to do with some kind of run-in with the feds. Don't know if that is factual though?

The modern outfit selling stuff under the Herters name is completely different. The just bought the name for commercial sales purposes.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    atrisha,

There is simply not enough information available to tell you who might have made these two rifles. The pictures show little if anything of value except for the stampings. You don't even show the action or the bolt. The shield is usually reserved for the original owners initial but in this situation it appears that the Teutonic script has been mimicked by the stamp on the barrel.

Remove the barreled action from the stock and examine all of the various pieces with a magnifying glass to see if there are any specific stamps that will provide any clues. Look carefully.

Without further markings, you have a late fifties/early sixties pair of rifles. If they shoot accurately, keep them to enjoy. Otherwise sell them as generic shooters.

Best.

ADDED:

quote:I never asked for value or opinion of what you might think they are worth.

And none of the members ever suggested a value or opined on the worth. You might be confusing us with another set of posts.

quote:I am not trying to be a jerk but this is the usual bs some one has to give opinions in stead of facts.

There has been no BS given, that's your misunderstanding. Everything we've offered has been fact.

There is nothing to go by except the two marks and so far none of us has any information unfortunately.

Good Luck with your search.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Both guns are Mauser 98 actions if the guns had good markings I would not be posting this. I never asked for value or opinion of what you might think they are worth. I am trying to find out if anyone knows the makers mark in the shield. I am not trying to be a jerk but this is the usual bs some one has to give opinions in stead of facts. I do not care about the value or if you think I should keep a gun or sell it.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tagged so I can find out, if you find out...intrigued.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll hang around, too, for more info on the blue Ford
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The design of the stocks looks to be herters,most actions used were FM mausers.I have 5 of these herters guns but I am at my winter home and they are not with me.So hard to compare.I worked in a shop that made 100's of custom guns like this.verious actions,cal's and stocks in the 60's.tks hedge[:D]
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hedgehopper62
    The design of the stocks looks to be herters,most actions used were FM mausers.I have 5 of these herters guns but I am at my winter home and they are not with me.So hard to compare.I worked in a shop that made 100's of custom guns like this.verious actions,cal's and stocks in the 60's.tks hedge[:D]

I responded to this post in the other forum, saying that the "symbol" on the forearm reminded me of Herter's...I guess the next question MIGHT be "WHO made them for Herter's?".......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you both for the Herters response. Is that what the H stands for in the monogram. Hedge if possible when you get a chance can you see if your Herter guns have the same monogram. Also who is or was Herters. Once again thank you for the info.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been looking for my old herder's catalogue, haven't found it yet. Online I haven't seen that logo with their stuff. Almost everything herder's was so marked. I looked at german scrip charts online via google and didn't see a match. You might look at old English or French. Could be a h or n, or might be just a symbol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If Herter was a store that sold low economy guns I would think these guns are not a Herter product. They are built on Mauser actions jeweled magazines adjustable trigger pull and leghth. Ect. Ect. Who knows. thanks to everyone for the input.