In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reviews on Taurus 85 UL

handye9handye9 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I've been watching auctions and looking in local gun stores, for a revolver that is: a) Easy to conceal b) Light weight c) 22LR, 38spl, or 357.

I got really tempted by Taurus 85 ultra-lite, but, some of the reviews I've read have me a little concerned.

Did a search here on GB and the reviews were pretty much favorable.

Did an online search and saw things like terrible recoil, cylinder lock ups (new guns out of the box), peeling finish, and flame cutting the frame.

I did note, most of those negative reviews were a few years old.

In your opinions, has Taurus quality gotten better in the last few years?

Is the recoil of lite weight snubbies, similar to high five with a grizzly bear? (I saw this in one of the model 85 reviews)

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my model 60 S&W. Properly loaded 38 Special is snappy enough. A 357 that size would not be enjoyable to shoot IMHO. Revolvers flame cut the top strap, I have yet to see one fail due to that. Last count around 30,000 full tilt rounds in my 29. Yep it's flame cut and has been for the last 30 years 25,000 rounds.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taurus quality varies, some folks love them. I personally have been disappointed. Doubtful that anyone could give you any assurance, that if you bought a new one tomorrow. That it will be 100% reliable and trouble free. This isn't only confined to Taurus, but to any modern mass produced firearm.

As far as recoil is concerned in one of the ultra light weight snubbies. Stick with the .22. The .38's & .357's are way ugly with their service loads. Their light weight helps for them to extensively carried for personal protection. But to be fired very seldomly, i.e. familiarization and test firing once a year.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by handye9
    In your opinions, has Taurus quality gotten better in the last few years?

Since I don't own any Taurus guns (and have no interest in buying any) this is basically a "gestalt" of hearsay reading stuff on the internet and speaking to people. So my "opinion" here isn't very firm, and you should take it with a grain of salt.

Still, from what I can gather, Taurus QC has actually gotten WORSE over the last ten years, because they've let earlier improvements to QC slip again. IMO, if money is tight, any used Ruger or Smith is a better buy (long term) than any new Taurus.

quote:Is the recoil of lite weight snubbies, similar to high five with a grizzly bear? (I saw this in one of the model 85 reviews)
    Never having high-fived a grizzly bear, I can't say.

What I can say is that firing a .357 magnum out of a 15 ounce or lighter alloy frame snubnose is incredibly punishing. Imagine sticking out your hand palm up at arms length and then having me punch it downwards with my fist as hard as I can. . .yeah, something like that. I know a guy who is actually a firearms instructor who fired the Smith and Wesson Scandium frame .357 snub J-frame (I think this weighs 12 oz) one time, immediately put it down and refused to touch it again.

The extra bright muzzle flash and loud noise of the 357 from this platform also magnify the subjective unpleasantness of shooting, as do the abbreviated "boot" grips that typically come standard with these guns to aid in concealment. Putting nice big soft grips that let you get a full four-finger death grip on the butt helps tame the perceived recoil a LOT.

Again, from experience a .38+P from this platform is a LOT more pleasant to shoot (or maybe better said. . .only mildly unpleasant). Recoil is "brisk" and this is definitely not the nicest gun in the world to shoot nor really for inexperienced shooters, but I have no problem going through a practice box of 50 with my Smith aluminum alloy airweight 637 in 38+P, and I'll print respectable groups with it down to the last rounds in the box. I really wouldn't want to do that with .357 magnums.

The big issue with .357 magnums is that the cartridge just uses a lot of powder, and its very inefficient in a small barrel. From something like a 2" snubnose, the bullet leaves the barrel before most of the powder is burned, and then the remaining powder burns out of the muzzle behind the bullet, creating a gigantic fireball and flash. In other words, most of the powder potential is wasted, and if you check the actual ballistic tables, from a 2" bbl, a 357 magnum only peforms marginally better than a "mere" .38.

So IMO, if you're not using at LEAST a 3" bbl, there is no point to even bothering with .357 magnum.

Edit: FWIW, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I have a lot of guns to pick from, and I can carry whatever I like. But when it comes down to it, 90% of the time I actually carry concealed its my Smith 637 hammered alloy frame 38+P. Its small enough to still fit in a pocket, gives better power than any .380 (let alone a .22), and is more reliable than any small autos (many/most of which are just jam-machines). I'm willing to give up some power and capacity for reliability and ease of carry.
  • Options
    handye9handye9 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Taurus quality varies, some folks love them. I personally have been disappointed. Doubtful that anyone could give you any assurance, that if you bought a new one tomorrow. That it will be 100% reliable and trouble free. This isn't only confined to Taurus, but to any modern mass produced firearm.

As far as recoil is concerned in one of the ultra light weight snubbies. Stick with the .22. The .38's & .357's are way ugly with their service loads. Their light weight helps for them to extensively carried for personal protection. But to be fired very seldomly, i.e. familiarization and test firing once a year.

This would be a seldom fired situation.

I have a Ruger security six (357 with six inch barrel) and 4 semi-autos in 22LR, 9MM, and 40SW. None are easily concealed.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would skip the Taurus, based on my experiences with them. I have owned a couple, and sold a few, and have had for the most part, trouble.

If you are in the market for an economical revolver, that has a good reputation, and is concealable, at a good price, try the Ruger LCR, or the Charter Arms, revolver's. The new line up from Charter Arms, is impressive.

Best
  • Options
    ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 85UL that I carry often and am very satisfied with it. I also have a S&W model 637 Airweight that I carry too. I like both guns, and feel confident with both of them. I do not think the recoil is a problem in either pistol shooting +P loads. I agree that longterm, the S&W will be worth more. That being said, I would not hesitate to buy another 85UL if I were to need another carry pistol.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We send Taurus guns back for repair more often than every other brand combined....that should tell you something.[;)]
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Buy a S&W or Ruger and you'll be glad you did.
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older stainless steel Taurus 85 that was given to me as a gift. It has gone bang every time I have wanted it to. Accuracy? Let's just say that at 40-50 feet it is capable of minute-of-milk carton.
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older stainless steel Taurus 85 that was given to me as a gift. It has gone bang every time I have wanted it to. Accuracy? Let's just say that at 40-50 feet it is capable of minute-of-milk carton.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2013-03-03125713_zps21fecac0.jpg

This 850(concealed hammer 85) has been a great gun. I've owned it for 5 years and never an issue. I changed the factory grips to Uncle Mike's. Taurus has a new American CEO. Nice thing is all the big gun companies make snubby .38's or have old versions(Colt). If you don't go with Taurus a S&W or Ruger will do the job. None are fun to shoot with full house loads and some of the ultralight .357's are just ridiculous with recoil.