In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Early Colt Commander

jebbarjebbar Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1951 9mm Colt Commander that I just inherited. It's in pretty good shape with the exception of the barrel bushing (which looks like it was launched a few times during failed reassembly), the plastic grips and some wear on the "bluing" on the aluminum receiver. My question is whether parts made for the more common .45 acp commander are inter-changable. I'm assuming no on the barrel bushing, but wondered if the grips were standard across the different calibers.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Grips are the same size on the Commander as on the full size government model. When you say Bushing . lets make sure we are talking about the same Part. There are two Major ways to dismount the slide barrel ASSM/top half from the frame. the most common method is to push the recoil spring in slightly and then turn the bushing this will result "unless careful attention to hold the parts in place" the recoil spring and recoil spring plug to fly out across the room. The Commander bushing is some times slightly shorter then the full size pistols bushing and the plug is also sometimes shorter. Brownells sell both Commander parts or one can grind/mill the standard full size one down. The metal removed will not show when pistol is put back together.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you can still get a blue Commander recoil spring PLUG (the piece actually on the end of the recoil spring) or if necessary, shorten a Government Model plug to fit. GM plugs are longer, Commander plugs are shorter but all the same diameter for all calibers.

The barrel BUSHING (with the hole the barrel goes through) is specific to the 9mm Commander. The inside diameter is smaller and the length is shorter than a .45 or/and Gov't Model. I think EGW will make one.
  • Options
    jebbarjebbar Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Perry and Hawk - this is very helpful!