In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Standard Duramatic M101

seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Today I was looking at a nice condition used (of course) High Standard Duramatic M-101.

Should the slide lock back on an empty mag or does this pistol lack a slide stop. This was a lower cost offering from HS so maybe no slide stop??

I like a last shot hold open so I do not have to count but in my other .22's that do not have last shot hold open I load a CB Long 1st so that is the last round and it does not cycle the slide.

With this Duramatic -101 are you liable to peen the breach if you pull the trigger on an empty chamber? John Stimson indicates this is a striker fired pistol so does that make a difference?

I would like to add it to my HD's but need to know about this feature or lack thereof.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My M-101, does not have that slide lock. It was one of the features not added to the budget minded series.

I do not like to drop the firing pin on anything, on an empty chamber, especially rimfires. With rimfires, it does neither the chamber mouth, or the firing pin any good.

Best
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Due to it's internal lockwork, with the striker, they don't have the greatest trigger pulls. The sear and sear spring have to be strong enough to hold the striker and striker spring as the slide goes forward into battery.

I noticed the prices of them along with other vintage High Standards have been raising. Go for it if you can pick it up at a descent price.

The one I owned years ago functioned OK. And was reasonably accurate. The heavy striker fall seemed to fire the Remington Golden bullets better then other pistols. Didn't notice that the striker mangled the barrel, if I pulled the trigger on a empty chamber?
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Sport-King doesn't have a hold-open either, so I would think was normal for the lower end High Standards. The firing pin will peen the chamber if dropped on an empty chamber. Your Idea of using a CB long is great, I never though of that. These are actually concealed hammer fired rather than striker fired.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    My Sport-King doesn't have a hold-open either, so I would think was normal for the lower end High Standards. The firing pin will peen the chamber if dropped on an empty chamber. Your Idea of using a CB long is great, I never though of that. These are actually concealed hammer fired rather than striker fired.

The Sport Kings have internal hammers. Duramatics are striker fired. Also I believe the latter model Sport Kings, made after the mid 50's. Had slide stops that were actuated by the magazine after the last shot.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie

The Sport Kings have internal hammers. Duramatics are striker fired. Also I believe the latter model Sport Kings, made after the mid 50's. Had slide stops that were actuated by the magazine after the last shot.

Whether striker fired or hammer fired, you don't want to dry fire a rim fire weapon. The Hammer fired still hits a firing pin that comes forward to hit the rim of the cartridge case. Same with a striker fired weapon. In either case, the firing pin will come forward and hit the edge of the chamber, possibly peening it as well as do possible damage to the firing pin.

Neither the M100 or M101 have lockbacks when the last case in a magazine is fired.

Added:

It's best to get in the habit of using a snap cap. Especially for rim fire weapons.